HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   is pellet gun powerfull enough for squirrel? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/30242-pellet-gun-powerfull-enough-squirrel.html)

edwinn 05-15-2003 10:56 PM

is pellet gun powerfull enough for squirrel?

HI ,iam goin squirrel hintin' , and i was wondering
is pellet gun powerfull enough for squirrel?
and if you woud know any squirrel hintin' tricks i would be wery gratefull.
thanx:D

bspittman 05-16-2003 07:40 AM

RE: is pellet gun powerfull enough for squirrel?

SOME pellet guns are powerful enough. It just depends on which one you have. There' s really no special tips for hunting them. If I was you I' d find a good pecan grove and just grab a seat. Let the action come to you. If you spot one and he' s on the other side of the tree you can click two quarters together and he' ll come out to see what' s going on. The 2 quarters sounds like a pissed off squirrel. Really nothing special about it....just sit and wait.

Nomercy 05-16-2003 10:25 AM

No, I wouldn' t dare use a .177 air rifle on sqrls, are you kidding, at least a .30-06, if not a .375H&H!!! ;)[&:] Really though, as long as you can' t see your bb in flight (or you have a 10pumper), you' re more than " enough gunned" . Take some fishing line or dental floss, get them up a tree (if they don' t go in a hole, tie the floss to a sapling, and step to the other side of the tree they' re in from it, then shake the heck out of it, they' ll bounce to your side, and hit them in the head with a pointed pellet. If you' ve got some rat terriers or jack russels, take them, the sqrls will sit up there and worry so much about the dogs they won' t even glance at you while you swing around and harvest them.

edwinn 05-16-2003 12:56 PM

i have a 10pumper. thanx for tips guys , i hope ill get that bag limit today :D

kevin1 05-20-2003 04:36 AM

edwinn,
you' d better check to see if they are legal equipment first , some states don' t allow air rifles .

hotgunner21 05-27-2003 01:11 PM

hey bspittsman! where did you get the quarters idea cuz i posted it in another post

Shooter Dan 06-09-2003 12:02 AM

I heard about the quarters at least 20 years ago and it really works.

turk2di 06-11-2003 05:03 PM

At close range and in the head[X(] Wouldn' t be takin no long shots[:o]

jrhunter 06-16-2003 06:28 PM

i went hunttin off the back porch wed. and i put a bucket of pecans by a pecan tree and 5 or 6 came down. i shot with a pellet gun and got a bullseye [X(].

jrhunter 06-16-2003 06:43 PM

i am gonna try the quarter trick next time i go which will be this weekend