Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
.22 win mag vs. .17hmr - My side by side comparison >

.22 win mag vs. .17hmr - My side by side comparison

Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

.22 win mag vs. .17hmr - My side by side comparison

Old 09-01-2009, 06:42 PM
Typical Buck

Default .22 win mag vs. .17hmr - My side by side comparison

I know there have been a thousand of these threads and as tradition goes there are gonna be people on both sides of fence. I, myself, have traditionally been a .22 mag enthusiast. Can't help it. I love the little rifles. Well yesterday I bought a savage 17 with a bushnell sharpshooter 3-9 scope from dicks for around 275. It has the bull barrel and thumb hole stock. Now I do take into consideration that my 22 mag is 15 years old and has 6 power scope on it when making this comparison. I shot from both bench rest and free hand. I also had another shooter with me so that preference for either cartridge when out the door.

All that being said.
@ 25 yards the groups were similar.
@50 yards the 17 was shooting pea sized groups while the 22 mag was more along the lines of golf ball sized
@100 yars the 17 offered a lot more consistency.

So here is kinda what I've decided about the whole which is better argument, neither is better. I've killed give or take 1 or 2 40 coyotes with the 22 mag. Its a great gun for em especially at arround 50 yards which is where I like em. For those longer shots on squirrles I'm thinking the 17 may be the way to go simply because of the accuracy at longer distances. I'm definately a still a fan of the 22 mag simply because in my eyes it is a time proven cartridge but I'm also now a huge fan of the 17 because of what I saw the rifle do today.

Whether or not you agree with what I'm saying or I don't care. I just figured I'd offer some insight because I have seen in the past this issue come up. Ok. you're thoughts if you want.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for the insights. In the past, people have posted some links to professional comparisons of the two rounds. Think that as a rule, they show that the .17 emerges as the more accurate round once you get beyond 75 yards and especially beyond 100 yards. When I was growing up, a .22 mag was the varmint gun in my family. However, I've been a big proponent of the .17 since i bought one and used it to knock a crow out of the top of an huge oak tree at about 250 yards.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:59 AM
Fork Horn

thanks for the info.i might go out and buy one this week.always used a marlin .22 mag in the past.didnt know if the .17 had enought punch or not
Old 09-06-2009, 10:01 AM
Dominant Buck

There is a member of the Hog forum that has posted pictures of hogs he has killed with ear shot using his CZ .17 HMR......His name is Venado Loco

Last edited by Rebel Hog; 09-06-2009 at 05:49 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:30 PM
Spike

The 17 is a hands down winner for fox/coyote size game out past 100m compared to the 22mag. The CCI Speer "TNT" and Hornady XTP are just devastating on them in the 150m and closer range.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:45 PM
Fork Horn

dad owns a 22mag and i own 2 savage 17hmr's. Dad likes my 17's more. Just doesn't like the cost of ammos that's all
Old 10-21-2009, 06:10 PM
Spike

Here is a good site on the HMR 17: http://www.varmintal.com/ahunt.htm
Old 10-22-2009, 02:19 PM
Spike

i got a .22 lr, i have really been wanting a .17, but sadly money is tight and looks like im stuck with my .22