Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Time for a change--

Old 08-08-2009, 05:48 PM
Fork Horn

You need to know the drawback of the .204. Small varmints tend to explode. The debris field is terrible. It's very hard to hit them and have them walk or crawl away. Viewing the ugliness and carnage is best viewed on video.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:00 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Gimphunter
You need to know the drawback of the .204. Small varmints tend to explode. The debris field is terrible. It's very hard to hit them and have them walk or crawl away. Viewing the ugliness and carnage is best viewed on video.

Drawback ??? , Best viewed on video , sat it is'nt so, that's the best part.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd suggest a .22-250. Load it with a 50gr varmint bullet and they won't go back into the hole unless they just happen to land there. I shot a nice fat groundhog with my 22-250 and a 50gr Nosler Ballistic Tip right at 200 yards. Hit it in the chest, and it turned his chest and abdomen completely inside out. It was gruesome, but very effective. He didn't do anything but roll down the hill he was standing on when he died.

Mike
Old 08-17-2009, 05:53 AM
Typical Buck

If the 22 was "dead on" as you say it was why didn't you just aim for the head? Do that and you'll save your money. As much as I hate doing this I'm going to recommend the 17 hmr to you. Its a good ground hog gun and won't mangle them to bad if you're goal is to stuff these things.