Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Time for a change--

Old 08-04-2009, 04:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default Time for a change--

The .22 is dead on at 50 yards and this afternoons shot was no more than 30. The groundhog had been moving toward me eating grass and I got him high in the chest. He managed to roll and fall back into the burrow. Iv'e gotten maybe a dozen this year and this is the second that got back to the burrow. I need more knockdown power. I'm not much of a fan of the .22 mag, but I'm ready to start using a .22 centerfire. I'm thinking a .223 or possibly the .204. Some of you think very highly of the .204, please tell me about it. I'm open for suggestions-------John R
Old 08-04-2009, 06:20 PM
Typical Buck

Save your money, keep shooting the 22, and aim for the head.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Any of the calibers you mentioned will get the job done for what you're hunting. Especially at those ranges.

Longer ranges might dictate the upgrade, but if you're looking for an excuse to buy a larger caliber, just make something up and do it. Can never go wrong buying another rifle if you can afford it! Both the .223 and .204 have proven themselves.

Only thing I would say between the two is that .223 might be easier to get ahold of. But the .204 is getting really popular. Don't have one, so I didn't notice, but I suspect they're not too hard to find either.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a .223, .22-250, and a .17HMR that I use for ground hog hunting.

It seems that I always grab the .17. Inside 150yds it gets the job done extremely well...and I've shot a couple at nearly 200 with wonderful results.

If your shots are inside 100yds consistently, the 17 will anchor a groundhog. Especially if you shoot the V-Max bullets.

The centerfires work extremely well and are somewhat more powerful and do a wonderful job on coyotes, too if you ever do that.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Remmy in .204 Ruger. It's the bugs nutz.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here is what I use in .204 with 40gr V-Max

http://www.savagearms.com/16fcss.htm

Hope this helps.

http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm.204-ruger.html
Old 08-05-2009, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Head shots! Can't run when your brains are oozing out on the ground.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:56 PM
Fork Horn

Gentlemen, it would most certainly have been a head shot, but as he stood up, his head was just out of sight behind the ends of the 2x2's used for winter shrink wrapping. He had been using a metal drainage culvert as a subway to get to the field behind me and he was only a couple feet from the entrance. This was the first time I had seen him in weeks although I knew he was still there. Had I waited another minute he'd have been in the culvert, and it wasn't safe to shoot at him at the other end. So, I had a very brief moment to take a safe shot in the right direction, I know I didn't miss, he fell over like he was dead, kicked and then still managed to roll back into the burrow. Had it been a .223 or Hornet or some such, he'd have dropped right there. A lesson learned---That .204 sounds like a winner and thanks for the information, are most of the manufacturers chambering something in this caliber?--------------John
Old 08-06-2009, 08:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

John,

Any manufacturer who makes a varmint gun.

Some call it the best Varmint / Predator round to come down the pike in a long time !
Old 08-07-2009, 02:14 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the info, sounds real good. If most are chambering for it, then finding ammo shouldn't be a problem. Iv'e pretty well cleaned out the two dens where most shots were close range so it's time to start reaching out there-----thanks again and I'd better start thinking about a new rifle, Remington, Savage, maybe a Ruger------------John

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.