Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Best coon bait

Old 07-09-2009, 03:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default Best coon bait

What is the best coon bait u can think of?
Old 07-10-2009, 07:57 AM
Fork Horn

i have good success in using marshmallows, dog food (cheap), and stinky sardines.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:37 AM
Typical Buck

I attempted a mineral mix this year using the scrap peanut butter Hershey's uses in their candy as an enticement for the deer. Gave it a try, worked but not great. I had a bunch of coons on my cam at my feeder. I placed havahart traps out with a 3" piece of pvc pipe 6" long filled with this peanut butter. To date I have relocated over a dozen coon from that one area alone. My dad had coons and wanted to do the same using fish.... he caught 1 opossum and 1 turtle, no coons!
Old 07-10-2009, 12:59 PM
Fork Horn

I like sardines mixed with peanut butter
Old 07-10-2009, 01:19 PM
Typical Buck

Apples work well also
Old 07-10-2009, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cat food seems to work pretty well over here.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:41 AM
Typical Buck

Last year while showing my son how to trap we used sardines and shell fish oil. We went this year and netted some shiners and froze them for the up coming season. I like the peanut butter and will give it a try this year.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:37 PM
Spike

We use alot of carp. Spear them in the summer and preserve them. Cut the guts out and chop into four to six inch chunks with an ax. Put a layer of stock salt in the bottom of a bucket. Add a layer of fish and cover with salt. Cheap and works great for cats and coons and will last pretty much forever.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:35 PM
Spike

Fish also here. I don't gut them though. I will freeze them hole then remove and cut them up with my chop saw into chunks. Then place 6 chunks in a freezer bag and put back in freezer and just take out what I need so I don't waiste any by thawing out and not useing. Not a good idea to use chop saw when not frozen. Quite messy and scary when the teeth grabs and rips the fish out of your hand and throughs your fish with a clang of the blade. And not a good idea because a chunk might end up in the sawdust vacum tube on the saw and then you smell the rankest smell ever and cant find out where it is comming from but it works fine with frozen fish.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

tHEY LOVE WHAT YOU PUT IN YOUR GARBAGE CANS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.