Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Coyote Trapping

Old 06-20-2009, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Coyote Trapping

Hey,ya'll I need some tips on coyote trapping.I'll be using the dirt hole set,1 3/4 duke traps.What bait do you prefer,I'm gonna use coyote urine for a little more scent.I'd like any tips you can give me.They are runnin us crazy down in Alabama,howlin all night,killin rabbits and a fawn sometimes.I killed one the other day when i was crow hunt'n with my 22 in a shootin house (for deer huntin in the fall alot of deer still come in the field.) Thanks Alot.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:28 PM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Coyote Trapping

For urine posts the urine will work great. If you are going to use dirt holes about anything will work. Yotes love chickens, so chicken liver works good but anthing that will stink will pull him in. Be careful with your scent. Good luck!
Old 07-09-2009, 03:06 PM
Fork Horn

Urine set works good but a dirt hole does to they all work good and if they are killin rabbits why not use a rabbit for bai?
Old 07-12-2009, 06:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

First thing I would recommend is to shoot them, but if you wants to trap them.

Dig a small pit.........

Place all types of "bait" into pit and cover with light earth and leaves.

Continue this for one month and then place your traps in the pit with the "bait".

Done............................Use gloves and cover scent when setting with traps.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:40 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Sheridan
First thing I would recommend is to shoot them, but if you wants to trap them.

Dig a small pit.........

Place all types of "bait" into pit and cover with light earth and leaves.

Continue this for one month and then place your traps in the pit with the "bait".

Done............................Use gloves and cover scent when setting with traps.
Would gloves and cover scent be needed if he allready have the animal use to his scent from pre baiting them? His scent would be all iover the place if he pre baited for a month. I might start and do that my self. Get them comming to an area. Good idea.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, they will pick-up on your scent.

Wear gloves and use cover scent from DAY ONE........................
Old 07-13-2009, 11:06 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Yes, they will pick-up on your scent.

Wear gloves and use cover scent from DAY ONE........................

The thing about scent is where it comes from. If you have shorts on or short sleeve shirts,gloves won't help much as for human odor. The reason is that scent comes from dead skin cells that fall off the body.That is why blood hounds can track what they are hunting.Watched a show on the discovery channel on it.How long does human scent actually stay around before it disapears is the question that should be thought about?I would guess no more than 24hrs and maybe less if it is cold and damp out.So scent shouldn't be that much of a concern other than keeping lure and bait scents off your traps.
Gloves help to keep food and lure smell off traps so they don't dig the trap up.Use gloves to set and take off to bait or, set trap with gloves off then put on to bait.