Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Need some adviec on predator hunting

Old 05-04-2003, 06:04 PM

Default Need some adviec on predator hunting

I need some tips ,advice or wisdom on hunting coyote or bobcat cait seem to kill one
Old 05-05-2003, 05:45 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Need some adviec on predator hunting

coyotes and bobcats are predators,they survive on there abilty to see,smell and hear everything.unless your capable of hunting in stealth mode your chances of succsess are slim.first off are there cats and coyote where your tying to hunt?are you useing camo?if so does it work with your surroundings?are you useing the wind to your advantage?are you useing your calls properly,hand or electronic?give folks here some info on your set up and you will be steared in the right direction.
Old 05-05-2003, 08:25 PM
bhw
Nontypical Buck

read all about it at...

http://lewand.tripod.com/barkmoon.html
Old 05-06-2003, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I know for a fact that there are plenty of cats and coyotes in your area, I' m from Miltonvale, myself, and hunt back there a few times every year. SO, I' d say that you' ve got plenty of critters to hunt, so get out there and do some calling. Have you tried calling them in yet? I think that this should be very effective for you, if you have never called before, let us know, and we' ll give ya some pointers on how to get started. Generally if you' re looking to call in cats, you' ll need to call in the creeks or river area, also could find coyotes there too, amd if you' re looking to target just the coyotes, go out to some of the pasture around there, and you should be able to call them in. Let us know more here, about your experience hunting them, so we know what kind of tips you need.
Old 05-07-2003, 08:28 AM

Hi Duckman66;

How new are you at this. There is a whole lot to know about calling. First getting into an area quitely and unseen is a must. Don' t be slamming your truck doors and talking to your buddies when getting started. Camo is a definite must. and make sure it matches your surrounding. I have found the best camo is still the old Army type, with the different colors of browns, greens, and tan. After you get to your calling area sit and relax for awhile. Don' t just sit down and start calling. Let the woods settle down to your presents.

When you start your first set of calls don' t over do it. High volume a lot of time is your worst enemy. And don' t sit there and call for 15 minutes. Remember if your using a rabbit call. It' s lung compacity isn' t what yours is. The size of a rabbits lungs are about as big as your thumb. Too many beginners don' t realize this and it' ll scare away more animals than call in. I make my first call and wait for around 10 minutes before i call again.

Always keep the wind to your advantage. Scouting the areas your going to hunt is as important as anything else. Get a siren type call and travel the roads at night and and see how many and where the coyotes are at night. For some reason coyotes go crazy over a siren, then be there in the morning. Get a howler and learn how to use that. A lot of time the dominate, or alpha dog will not except another male in his terriory. Also a lot of beginners make a lot of animals call shy by making stupid mistakes. You don' t have to be an expert at calling to bring in your target animal. Practice your calling all the time. And don' t think that electronic calls are the only call there is. Mouth call are just as inportant. Also get some squeakers and carry them also.

As for bobcat, patience is going to be your best bet. I' ve had coyotes come running in at me on my first calling series. But a bobcat will take it' s sweet ole time coming to a call. A lot of people will tell you call an area for 20 minutes to a half an hour, and if nothing happen to leave. Well, that might be ok for fox and coyote. But if you really want a cat you better sit for a good hour or so. I' ve seen a lot of bobcat running from an area because I never saw, or thought one was around. Then when I got up to leave so did the cat. I hope this helps you out some. ANd good luck hunting.
Old 05-13-2003, 06:04 PM

these are all great advice so get as much info as you can and keep your firearm sighted in so if they do get close you wont blow a shot

Tip- shoot a squirrel or rabbit and put its fur over the decoy and it will look more realistic.
Old 05-15-2003, 04:09 AM

I' ve got to agree with coyoteseeker with the stealth mode, predators can pick that needle out of a hay stack!!! Good luck and don' t give up.