Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

My heaven....

Old 06-16-2009, 07:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: My heaven....

I saw a couple of coyote pups walking along the canal last weekend. Iwas in the middle ofpopping some prairie dogs and they would have been easy pickin', but knowing October isn't too far away, I let them go. Worst part is, that is the only two that I have seen in a month or so. Maybe a little longer. Probably time to start looking for some new land.

Jrb, how much of your hunting is done with your camera crew?
Old 06-16-2009, 08:49 PM
Fork Horn

Wow, JRB...

One handed, wow..... and still out shoot us "westeners".... Hey I havent been here a year yet do I count....

Hey Howler, JRB is good, but one handed... If he does that shouldnt you and 40 start using slingshots to make it fair.....

JRB, I think I just heard that can of worms you opened fall to the ground....

"Cant we all just get along..." I think we all should get together, In Colorado, for a long weekend, and see how much fur is left after words...

Mike
Pure Predator Calls
www.purepredator.com

Old 06-17-2009, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Colorado, I was thinkin' more like, oh maybe............................Idaho!!

Old 06-17-2009, 08:04 PM
Fork Horn

Mike, I said I'd shoot left handed... not one handed… it was a joke, since I *AM* left handed.

#40fan, it is very uncommon for me to *NOT* hunt a day between 10/15 and 3/15. There are numerous occasions in which I will not shoot, or even carry a gun, but it’s extremely rare for me to go 24 hours without making a stand in the fall/winter months. Last year I missed nearly a month of the best callingdue to illness. My “film crew” consists of myself and a camera-savvy assistant with little knowledge or interest in hunting.

Usually we film hard the first 4 weeks (10/15-11/15) because the coyote populations are highest and provide the best footage. More likely to see multiples coming in, more young/dumb and up-close coyotes for filming in that early season. When filming I'm picky about what I shoot and when... I'd rather have a great clip than a dead coyote. We film hard before the frost and the big game seasons come in… then we start killing.

My regular cameraman (of 3 years) wasassigned toFort Carsonone week before Indiana's fur season openedlast year... and just Monday of THIS week he was shipped from CO to Afghanistan. In his place, my niece's husband tagged alonglast winter and familiarized himself with the equipment. Unlike my previous cameraman, he was only able to hunt locally and fairly sporadically.

I’d estimate that last season Jeremy got out with us on12/14 hunts. Maybe100/120 stands. Given the limited access to his help, I made the best of having him along… and probably triggered 25+ animals on film with him recording. Most of those “stacks” of critters I killed and submitted in January and February were from timeframes in which he was available to film. We took 6 coyotes in 4 hours on one night, 5 others in 3 hours one afternoon. In one stretch he filmed 5 consecutive doubles which was really cool and rare for this area. I tried to be efficient with getting him on coyotes last year, but we sure had our share of “blanks” and “bloopers” too.

I like to give you guys hell on here, but I’m sure I’d have a hard time adapting to the terrain and animals out West. I need a few days to adjust to the variables everytime I travel to new places. Fact is, I couldn’t win a shooting contest or calling contest if my life depended on it. It’d be embarrassing to admit how much time and energy I spend chasing coyotes for no more than I kill.That said, there are very few people who hunt as hard as I do ona daily/weekly/monthly/seasonal basis. Rain or shine, sick or tired, day or night... persistance and experience pay off.

PS: Mike, yes you were a Westerner when you passed the arch in St. Louis.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:43 PM
Fork Horn

Jrb... I didnt know.. but I feel your pain, being from the midwest... Getting the feel for what I orginally thought was a good looking stand... To what terrain has the best results... Im still working on.... I told you your always welcome out here... as for that... Howler you and 40 have the same invite....

Like I said, at the end of the contest.. It is great to have good friends in the sport...

Mike
Pure Predator Calls
www.purepredator.com

Old 06-18-2009, 07:42 AM
Fork Horn

I am not sure what my travel plans will hold for this winter, but Kansas istop priority. I'vediscussed calling KSwith TR and 2 others... so I'm hoping to get over there and hunt with a few great hunters this winter if I don't do anything else. My industry is too shakey too makeany further plans right now. Could be working 80 hours a week, could be off for weeks at a time.

All I know is, this is my year to break 100.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:13 AM
Fork Horn

Jrb, the hundo mark is what Im shooting for myself... Hey when is sign up for the IPC, open again...

Mike
Pure Predator Calls
www.purepredator.com

Old 06-18-2009, 09:07 AM
Fork Horn

July 15th.

Watch www.IndianaPredatorChallenge.com for the registration packet to appear at midnight on the 15th. Fill it out and mail it in quickly, I suspect the field will be full within 2 weeks again this year. I've been promisedearly registrationsfrom guys inAZ, CA, MI, LA, KY, OH and IL... we'll see who makes the cut!? There's no other hunt like it... it'll be bigger and better than ever again this year.