Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

woodchuck hunting question

Old 05-26-2009, 04:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default woodchuck hunting question

woodchucks(groundhogs) were should i look for them i want to hunt them but the only place i see them is in peoples yards anyone have any idea on what they might be feeding on? and were else i can find them?
Old 05-28-2009, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: woodchuck hunting question

Farmer's fields are usually a good spot.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:56 AM
Fork Horn

Default old

removed by RD

Last edited by Ron Duval; 01-20-2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:26 PM

Bean fields are really good places. Especially when the beans are 2-6 inchs.Hope this helps.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:48 AM
Fork Horn

ive been looking around but havent seen one for over a week
Old 06-03-2009, 06:18 PM

Up to four so far.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:23 PM
Fork Horn

do they eat soy beans?
Old 07-10-2009, 08:30 PM
Spike

Well I have never hunted woodchucks before, but I am going to give it a try tomorrow. I bought this Beretta Cx4 Storm carbine last summer and haven't found a legitimate use for it other than shooting empty cans. I figured woodchucks would be a good use for it.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

for me i find them in hay fields and open pastures more than anywhere else...

holes can be right in the middle of the hay field, but you'll likely find more of their holes on the edges of fields in the tree lines and hedgerows...

evening is usually best time to find them out exspecially if its hot and/or sunny...

also right after a rain ends..

theres 2 main styles of hunting...sitting over known areas and waiting for them to come out or walking the field edges...

their eye sight is rather good and they will bust you moving or shiny object even at a good distance...but some seem dumber than a box of rocks...i cant count how many i walked up on and they just sit there looking all fat dumb n happy...

ive also found if you put serious pressure on them consistently, they will start coming out when your not around...so i like to switch up fields...

good luck!! if you get into the sitting and waiting and longer distance shooting, it can get addicting QUICK....just something about laying in the grass behind the rifle waiting and waiting for that perfect shot and sending a bullet across the valley...
Old 07-18-2009, 04:07 AM
Fork Horn

I'm surprised no one else mentioned it, but Iv'e had real good luck along the railroad tracks. They burrow into the sides of the built up areas under the tracks and feed on the bean fields. They have a habit of coming up onto the tracks to look around and generally sit up and make a great target. You find some burrows, sit down on the rail and wait. I'm hunting two big burrows in the middle of a bean field right now. With no cover out in a field and prefering the sit and wait method, I'm thinking I might try the prone position, close in, with a handgun. Good luck--------John

Quick Reply: woodchuck hunting question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.