Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

woodchuck hunting question

Old 07-18-2009, 06:40 AM
Spike

The tracks are one of the best places, especially if there's a beanfield on either side. We set just inside a woods and shoot across the field using the railbed for a backstop. Most shots are 120-150yrds. Great way to spend the day. We have a 430yrd. video clip at chuckwagginprod.com. Got him due to bullet fragment, but still got him.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:23 AM
Fork Horn

I should have mentioned earlier, they are also very partial to under the edge of buildings. Three farmers I know have burrows right at the base of the barn wall. Two more burrows are under cottages here at the lake where the residents are very rarely here. We see them crossing the road to get to the lake, presumeably for a drink. As I stated before, most of my shots are relatively close, so a .22 is enough plus of course it's not as loud and alarming to the locals as a centerfire. Most of my hunting consists of just waiting where one has been seen. Let them come out, let them look around for awhile, most times they'll come on out and sit up for a real good look around. Bring the rifle up very slowly while they are looking the other way, it usually doesn't spook them, and you get your shot. Works for me..........John
Old 07-21-2009, 12:32 PM
Fork Horn

im up to 27 this year...find them along ditches, in feilds of any kind, BEAN fields are excellant..they eat off the tops of the bean crop... rail road tracks...on the outskirts of woods...a groundhog can live almost any where...when he has food....because without food there teeth will grow up into their head and kill them...they must eat...keep in mind the bean fields.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:00 AM
Fork Horn

I would recommend knocking on some doors of local farmers. They hate woodchucks. I have had several farmers give me access to their land during the summer to hunt woodchucks. Once I went a few times and they saw I acted responsibly I got the green light to hunt other game.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Any structure that makes for good shelter, near to a water source and ajacent to farmers fields are ideal.

IE: Big trees, rock anclaves, stone wall fences, etc.

Let them ALL come out before you start shooting, then space your shots a little bit.

Hunt at dawn and dusk................you'll do fine.