HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   Midwest Coyote Hunters (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/294195-midwest-coyote-hunters.html)

JasonI 05-15-2009 08:28 PM

Midwest Coyote Hunters

For all of you guys in the Illinois, Iowa, Missouri area what do you do with your coyotes after you kill them? I'm trying to find a pelt buyer.

Howler 05-16-2009 07:25 AM

RE: Midwest Coyote Hunters

IF you're shooting coyotes this time of year, you're not going to find a fur buyer that'' buy them, because the pelts aren't worth anything. Even in the winter, in that part of the country. selling coyote furs is tough, because even then, with good winter coats, they're only worth about $5. in the round.
The fur market is way down right now, so fur buyers are few and far between, especially in your neck of the woods.

JasonI 05-16-2009 09:29 AM

So what do you guys normally do with the carcass? I'm used to hunting animals that can be eaten and coyote is defiantly not on my "to try" food list.

Jrbhunter 05-16-2009 03:08 PM

Carcassesmake good fertilizer.

I usually try to collect the skulls in the spring before the grass shoots up, but my fencerows and sinkholes have very rich soil. ;)

Pure Predator 05-17-2009 07:24 AM

Jrb,
Your in Indiana, dont lie you guys eat the Heck out of coyotes.... Your just trying to keep the "SweeTcoyote" , market all to yourself.... eat slow no body will take it from you....LOL....:D

Jason, from Illinois...
I myself am from Illinois orginally.... coyotes there.... cant touch the silky ones from the west... I found selling them on the "round" still on the carcass was best... the time to skin them wasnt worth it... to me at least... Really I was happy with just a picture....

Mike
Pure Predator Championship Calls
www.purepredator.com

JasonI 05-18-2009 05:54 PM

Thanks for the advice guys, I had planned on getting a few of the hides tanned my my personal use and bleaching some of the skulls. I just grew up being taught that if you killed it you ate it, but we never hunted predators, just whitetails, squirrels, and rabbits. I just have to remember that I'm removing an over populated species from the eco-system.

Jrbhunter 05-18-2009 09:05 PM

Coyotes are not over-populated in Illinois from a realistic wildlife management standpoint. The guys screaming about over-population are usually pushing quality deer management. The minimal number of coyotes you call and kill each season willnot makeany lasting impact on the ecosystem... if you can't justify hunting for the fun of it- I suggest another hobby.

Mike, so long as I've got 2 freezers full of deer, elk, beef, pork, turkey and chicken... I ain't touching no coyote burgers. At least I'm eating meat, I hear all they feed you guys out there are potatoes???

907Alaska 05-18-2009 10:55 PM

ORIGINAL: Jrbhunter

Carcassesmake good fertilizer.

I usually try to collect the skulls in the spring before the grass shoots up, but my fencerows and sinkholes have very rich soil. ;)
I'll 2nd that....my garden is doing real good
All they are to me is a four legged garbage disposal...hunt'em for fun all the time.

yodeldog3 05-19-2009 09:16 AM

Oh come on Mike you ate dogs when you lived out here to. You know they taste just like hawk.

Pure Predator 05-19-2009 08:01 PM

ok, you got me... sorry... I went from 190lbs. to 260 just on coyote alone... the tenderloins are to die for....

You guys are killing me...

Mike