HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/293947-trapping.html)

The Outdoorsman 05-12-2009 10:56 AM

Trapping

Can someone give me a push in the right direction for trapping yotes, fox, and bobcats? I live in Indiana and have peeked at trapping here and there but not really sure where to start or anything like that. Not looking to go into this and spend a ton of money but just something to get me started and see if its something that will strike up my interest to do more. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jrbhunter 05-12-2009 01:50 PM

RE: Trapping

No disrespect to anyone: but the best advice you'll see in this thread is to visit another website.

I tried to discuss and explain K-9 trapping a while back, only to find my posts deleted for "cruel content" because they showed animals in traps. I was later mistakenly banned for asking why my post was edited, and then unbanned because apparently I was one of the few that knew what it took to trap K-9's. I was told not to post pictures of animals in traps... or describe the act of traps closing on an animals foot... because it may hurt the feelings of non trappers. Don't even get me started on how ridiculous all of that was! :)

If you're in Indiana, you're surrounded by great trappers. Some of them visit www.MidwestPredator.comand/or www.Coyotesrus.com Your best bet would be to ask some questions online, then attend one of the many trapping rendezvous we hold annually. Weather it be through the Midwest Predator group or the Fur Takers of America, there are events across the state throughout the summer and fall where you could learn a lot and purchase the equipment needed at a fair price.

PS: Stay away from those bobcats. You'd best learn how NOT to trap those critters... snag one and you could lose your trapping privledges in this state.

The Outdoorsman 05-13-2009 04:43 AM

Thanks JRBHunter!

ray12 05-14-2009 06:22 AM

Hey I could help you some but chances are this here will help you more these are some REALLY good websights
#1 www.trapperman.com/forums
#2 www.coyotewillie.proboards.com/index.cgi
#3 www.trappertalk.proboards.com/index.cgi
Those are ALL really good boards If you join up to any one of them PM me I'm known as ray12 and it really does not matter what you go after if your a begginer just try and be a good sport and DO NOT make a bad name for trapping but if you are trapping predators as a begginer and even if you are a pro trapper always set on sign and if yu are aloud to snare in your state try snaring

Good luck

BlackLab 05-14-2009 07:22 AM

Try e-mailing canis lupus. He's from indiana and quite theoutdoorsmen ;)

zzzwark 06-04-2009 05:41 PM

set your mind right and you can catch anything out there!

Lanse couche couche 06-05-2009 10:29 AM

Damn, I'm impressed. I do pretty good with legholds, but over the years have done poorly when going after coons with live traps. It gets frustratingwhen i have a live trap set all season and don't catch anything but possums then my cousin (who is not a trapper) uses the same trap to catch a dozen coons in his sweet corn patch.

zzzwark 06-05-2009 07:16 PM

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

Damn, I'm impressed. I do pretty good with legholds, but over the years have done poorly when going after coons with live traps. It gets frustratingwhen i have a live trap set all season and don't catch anything but possums then my cousin (who is not a trapper) uses the same trap to catch a dozen coons in his sweet corn patch.
try sardines, coons will eat anything. coons and possums will eat similar foods so you might catch both of them. i've caught wild cats (house cats) with sardines.

Lanse couche couche 06-08-2009 09:02 AM

I've used sardines, jack mackerel, and raw fish for bait for over 30 years. Works great for legholds, but doesnt help me much with livetraps. Of course, I have since come to the realization that perhaps the best and cheapest coon bait is dried dog food. A couple pounds of it only cost acouple dollars and will last a small trapline all season.