Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Gun for coyote!?

Old 04-27-2003, 05:23 PM

Default Gun for coyote!?

im going to get into coyote hunting if i can find a good coyote gun for a good price what kind of gun do you recommend for it? where can you find them and how much? i dont have alot of money to spend so i dont want one for too much money thanks for any info!!
Old 04-27-2003, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Gun for coyote!?

If you will have shot opportunities at about 250 yrds. and less, I' d recomend the .223. If shot opps. may be longer, I' d recommend the 22-250. If you won' t have any shots over 50 yrds. stick with the a 12 gauge. The .223 is hard to beat, ammo is cheap and very available, and you might find one at your local pawn shop or gun shop.
Old 04-27-2003, 06:48 PM

Howler,

Do you know how much a decent .223 would cost at average? Thanks for the info.
Old 04-27-2003, 07:37 PM

You can get a new NEF .223 single shot with heavy varmint barrel for $200
Old 04-27-2003, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Look at a savage in 223, the package guns are around 400 dollars, the scopes aint the best but if your on a budget they will work for a while.
Old 04-28-2003, 03:16 PM

I USE A H&R 22 HORNET OR 22/250. WORKS GRATE
Old 04-29-2003, 06:18 PM

I think i might get the NEF .223 its a great price, i have a couple shotguns that they make and they are nice so i think ill try that one, i dont have too much money right now just bought a truck that im paying off and i dont have a job yet, just put my application in today only 16 so i cant buy anything too expensive right now because im paying off a truck!
Old 04-30-2003, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

First off, get the .22-250, if you get a .223, the only reason should be to allow you to shoot the cheap surplus stuff, which should never be done in a serious hunting rifle, that stuff is NASTY! If a guy wants a .223 to blow cheap rounds, then he should get a semiauto, he shouldn' t punish a good gun by feeding it crap.

.220swift is also a great option, but it will cost you more than the others to buy the rifle and to shoot once you have, however, it is the fastest .22 around, if not the fastest standardized cartridge.

I don' t know that I' d enjoy using a break on yotes, maybe it' s just me, but a single shot isn' t my cup of tea when I have an opportunity to bag 5 yotes if I had 5 shots, but then again, the yotes around here are a lot less timid and a lot more friendly than I hear most people' s packs are. If I have a shot, I usually have two, so getting them to compliment eachother, taking the first, and then trying to break and single feed wouldn' t be a whole lot of fun.

Plus, it' s really hard to accurize a break action further down the line when you want to expand from hobby varminting into long range shooting.

There' s nothing wrong with the NEF' s by any means, I just feel that the bolt is the chosen platform for varminting for a reason.

The savage guns are a GREAT buy, especially at only $350 for the package, even if you do nothing with the scope, a rifle of the same quality and a set of rings new would cost you probably $200 more than the savage, and probably wouldn' t be as accurate, and then you' d have to buy a starter scope for it (the one on the savage is only worth about $25, so I consider it negligible). I' d say get it at wally world, but I hate them, and you might not be able to at the moment, I' d recommend doing what I do, go to a good gun shop, say, " I really like buying guns though you guys, but I' d save a lot of money buying through Wally-world,..." they' ll usually match their price, or at least come close for you. <---only works if you' ve gone there a time or two though, and bought things from them. I dropped the price on a revolver almost a hundred bucks once doing that (of course, the prices were true, I didn' t just say it was cheaper one place when it wasn' t).
Old 04-30-2003, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

BTW, what are you using for a deer rifle? What' s wrong with taking it after yotes? Most the time anymore, I don' t even take my .22-250' s out after yotes, I just take my .30-06, it' t more than accurate enough to do the deed out to any range I could see at. If you already have a good deer rifle, then you don' t really need a new varminter for a while, at least until you can afford one that you really want, not that you have to settle for because you can only spend $200 on one. And if you want a cheap one because you don' t do it much, then your deer rifle is even better suited...then, if you do buy a good one, you' ll find yourself looking for excuses to go after yotes just to get to use it.
Old 04-30-2003, 03:49 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: Gun for coyote!?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.