Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Calling Crows

Old 04-13-2009, 08:02 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Crows

ORIGINAL: Shoulder Strap

All of the above. I would walk a mile in the snow. just to shoot at a crow. I use a tape style caller with a loud speaker. This works very well. my tape has intrmissions where a hoot owl with hoot a few times . We use a hammerin crow call (mouth call ) at the same time. Dont work as well but it will draw in the hawks and if you get the crows excited they will attack the hawk. If you use the tape caller point the speaker horizontal with the ground. If you point it upwards alot of the time they fly in high and are hard to get a good shot. I am a firm believer in camaflauge. If they see you its over.
I'm with you on the camoflauge. I always am completely covered in camo, including my face and hands, and the still seem to see me a lot of times. I've found that you cannot move a muscle until they are within shooting range. I'll have to try the horizontal speaker. Thanks.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've killed 2 in the last week, one was in the hay field and i got him with the .222 and the other was flying past the house when I was getting the 10ga out to pattern it. It shoots just fine [8D]
Old 04-15-2009, 06:18 AM

I have a fresh tilled field out behind my house. Yesterday evening we were having happy hour out on the back porch when there were several crows flying around. They were all upset about something and making a lot of noise. So I got out my new electronic caller, hooked it up and started playing a crow owl fight. They all took off and left the area. Came back about a half hour later and I tried it again with a lookie here call. They took off again. Now I'm wondering whats up with my calling? any ideas out there?
OB
Old 04-15-2009, 07:14 AM
Typical Buck

If you call when they can see you or after they have already seen you, it seems that they are impossible to call in. Also, it seems like they get suspicious if they don't see any crows where the calling is coming from, after flying around the area for a little while.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:19 AM
Typical Buck

It might not be nothing wrong with your calling, could be technique though. If the crows can see you when you start calling, they will leave no matter how good you can call, especially if they are being called in and shot at by hunters in your area. You wrote that they was making alot of noise when you noticed them, most likely they had spotted a threat, if crows see something that preys on them or their nest they will get agitated and call in backup. I've seen them act that way when they spot a snake, house cat, fox, hawks/owls, basically any predator. And rarely will they leave that threat and respond to a call. Also, I have no love for a crow, but they are a Federally protected specie and most states have a season, make sure they can be shot this time of year. If they are causing crop damage, there is a both a state and federal code that allows them to be killed anytime, but you need to inform the authoritys first. I'm not sayin anybody is breaking the law, just a heads up for someone who may not know. Hope that helps. JM2C
Old 04-28-2009, 11:46 PM
Fork Horn

what do you guys do with crows? hopefully not eat them...
Old 04-29-2009, 06:59 AM
Typical Buck

I know a guy here in Il. that rehabs owls, hawks, and a few other birds of prey, I give all my crows to him. He puts them in the freezer, and thats what he feeds all year.

Heystack is correct, in Il. they put the crow on the migratory bird list, and shortened the season alot. I don't know if that's only in my state or not.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:12 PM
Typical Buck

I've been feeding the coyotes with mine. I just throw them into the fencelines, after I'm done using the dead ones as a decoy. Something eats them up.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:04 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: soulless

what do you guys do with crows? hopefully not eat them...

Crows have been documented to harbor over 30 different Parasites. And they have a particular fondness of viscera[:'(] I let 'em lay. And have no guilt in doing such
Old 05-20-2009, 04:45 PM
Typical Buck

All right. I have another question for you guys. I just got a H.S. Hammerin Crow call, to use with my electronic call. For those of you who use a mouth call, how do you make the different calls. What kind of things do you say? Thanks in advance.

Mitch

Quick Reply: Calling Crows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.