Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

traps & help

Old 02-23-2009, 06:24 AM

Default traps & help

looking to get more traps this year
live traps and foot holds
any one know of a good place to buy them?
also for baiting coons and fox
what is the best bait?
Old 02-23-2009, 06:55 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: traps & help

The best place to buy traps is at trapping conventions. I would rather buy used traps, already modified, than to buy new traps. "Most" new traps need work done before they are ready for the trapline. If conventions are not nearby, through the summer months. Then check out some dealers, and their is many that sell them, and stay on the look out for guys selling out, quite of few of those too.

As for baits, for fox, early season, I like to use lures instead of bait, cuts down on how many skunks, possums etc. later in winter, beaver is hard to beat, deer scraps is a close second. Also i use no lure after 1st of January, just bait and fox pee.

For coons, fish, fish oil, lures, and marshmallows is good.

Stay tuned, there are a couple of good trappers on here.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:15 PM

thanks
Old 02-23-2009, 12:17 PM

im new to traping last season was my first
give me all the tips you can!
Old 02-23-2009, 01:13 PM
Typical Buck

Hey nathan,
Probably the best thing you can do is look up your states trapper association. These guys are highly skilled and dont mind helping. They can also tell you that states, laws, rules and regulations which is something you need to know before you get started. As far as tips and methods ask whatever you want to know. Somebody on here will do what they can to help.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:23 PM
Fork Horn

I like these guys, been buying from them for years.
http://www.nwtrappers.com/
As for bait in the cage traps I like a piece of bread with peanut butter and honey. Seems like a catch all. On the trap lines I usually use blueberry or persimmon. Just found a deal at a place on several cases at .10 cents per jar. On drown lines I use frozen crayfish or bits of hot dog.
Blessings
Old 02-24-2009, 07:22 AM

i know all the state rules.. mainly i dont know what im looking for.. i cant seem to find any good trails to put foot hold on. i have luck with beaver and muskrat they are easy but coons and fox and yotes i dont know what im doing lol
i got a 48 pound beaver last year is that a good size one?
Old 02-24-2009, 07:25 AM

wow thanks for that web. site
Old 02-24-2009, 08:05 AM
Typical Buck

Hey nathan,
I didnt mean to imply that you wasnt up the rules. Just had to mention it. They are always changing, some for the better some not. Its good to hear you are into trapping, it is very much needed. Coons will make a very worn down trail, look for trails coming in to fields out of woods, espeically cornfields. or if there are creeks, rivers and ponds, coons like to feed around water. Bugflipper has got a real good bait mentioned. If you have a bunch of feral cats in the area, they will avoid such baits. The question about fox and coyote trails is a little harder to answer, they definitly use trails, but dont leave as much sign. They like to wonder off the beaten path so to speak. they have a keen sense of smell though and can be drawed in to your set from great distances. so just make your sets in open places where they feel comfortable investigating the set.
A 48lb Beaver!!! hey thats above average in my area. They can reach 60, 70 or more pounds in some areas.

Good job and Good luck !!!!
Old 02-24-2009, 08:54 AM
Spike

Hey Nathan I have been trapping for years.. I do not rely on trails..I look for more pinch points,, when I say this I mean water crossings fence openings or fence points..draws wood edges,, for coon it is easier to attract them than find.. here I look for little water ways or springs...field edges where scent can travel.. as far as scents are concerned I like to use fish oil for coons it seems to attract them from far distances.. other animals I get lures from F&T Fur harvester's tradding post.. they have a wide selection of scents that work great for any thing you want to trap..

Quick Reply: traps & help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.