Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

My First Squirrel

Old 02-01-2009, 08:13 PM
Spike

Default My First Squirrel

This is my first squirrel not caught with a hawk. I got it with my Crosman Powermaster 66 (don't laugh) air rifle with Crosman Premium pointed pellets at about 35 yds. I was actually just in my back yard. It was kind of funny because I saw him running through these bushes and get into this tree that has the trunk split into two huge trunks near the base, and they are really tightly packed together. I saw this little guy run into the tree and get into the crevice. All I could see was a little bit of fuzz, but I decided to take the shot. I actually hit him right under what would be the chin and it went straight up and into his brain. Instant kill, he dropped, more like divebombed out of the tree and went straight to the ground. It was actually kind of miraculous. I was only intending to scare him farther up the tree so I could get a better shot, so I was surprised when I saw him drop out. Nonetheless, it was quite fun. I hit another one as well at about 10 yds, and I was going for a heart shot, he fell out of the tree and then ran back up it. he got on a really thick branch close to the trunk, and then crumpled. I would have liked to try to knock him out or try to shoot him again, but I didn't have a good shot, all my shots have apartment building right behind them, so I left him for a bird or something. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the one I got looks kind of young, his tail is not very "bushy" at all and he was very small compared to most of the others in my back yard. I'll be skinning and donating his meat to a friend that is a falconer for his birds. Hopefully there's more to come.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:24 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: My First Squirrel

congrats, i also killed a squirelll today but with a 12 guage
Old 02-02-2009, 12:22 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats on your first squirrel! I remember getting my first squirell....he ran right in front of me and i blasted him...
Old 02-02-2009, 12:36 PM
Fork Horn

congrats
Old 02-02-2009, 06:28 PM
Fork Horn

nice
Old 02-02-2009, 09:31 PM

Good Job!
Old 02-03-2009, 05:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the kill. Squirrels are pretty tough to hit with a single shot weapon, so that was some pretty good shooting.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:55 AM
Spike

Thanks for all the congrats everyone. I really appreciate it. I've been studying all the squirrels in my back yard for a couple weeks and I think I've figured out the times they like to hang around. I have two huge acorn trees in my back yard and I'm pretty sure a couple of them live up in it. I'll post if I get any more. Thanks again.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats big guy!
Those air rifles are more effective than most people give them credit for aren't they?
Old 02-04-2009, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats.

Quick Reply: My First Squirrel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.