Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

I'm a brand new hunter

Old 01-21-2009, 07:59 PM
Spike

Default I'm a brand new hunter

Ok, so as stated in the subject I'm a brand new hunter. I'm 18 and I live in Auburn, Alabama. I recently bought a Savage MK II .22 LR and a Mossberg 817 .17 HMR. I've never been on a "real" hunting trip, except with hawks and falcons. I plan to become a falconer when I graduate, and have a few friends that are currently falconers. When I was 9 or 10 I used to kill birds etc with my pellet rifle and can occasionally pick off a squirrel in my back yard with my air rifle here in Auburn. I just aquired my hunting license a few days ago and am thinking about taking day trips to Tuskegee National Forest which is only about 15 miles from where I live. I figured I'd start with small game such as squirrel, rabbit, coon, and beaver. I basically just want to hunt whatever is around so I can get the feel for hunting, and I just had a couple questions. This is going to be a long post, so I apologize for that in advance and greatly apprecaite anyone's help.

Ok, first, I would like to know if anyone has actually hunted on Tuskegee and if they have what it's like. I've read online that rabbits and squirrel are pretty abundant, which is good because that's what I want to hunt. I just want to hear form someone with experience.

Second, I would like to know which would be the better rifle to take hunting. Both rifles are bolt action and both have scopes. The .22 has a BSA 4x32mm I believe and is sighted at 50yds, and the .17 HMR has a Simmons 3-9x40mm and is sighted at 75yds. The .17 HMR, is of course, much more accurate than the .22 at ranges exceeding 100-125yds. Even so I favor the .22 for a couple reasons a) ammo is cheap and I doubt I'll be shooting anything more than 100 yds away and b) I don't want my game to explode when I shoot it. I've heard that depending on the ammunition a .17 HMR round can blow a squirrel in two, which is what I don't want. In addition, I would also like to know what is prime game for each rifle. From what I've studied a .22 is good for most of the stuff I want to hunt, and the HMR can be acceptable for rabbit, groundhog, beaver, fox, and possibly coyote.

Third, I would like to know how to field dress a squirrel and rabbit. I would also like to know if the squirrel hide is worth keeping, and if it is, what makes it worth keeping. I would also like to know how to treat and preserve hides. I'm not too fond of squirrel meat, so I'll probably end up giving it to one of my falconer friends so he can feed his bird when he doesn't have time to take it out or when the bird is in molt.

Lastly, I would like to know what the appropriate gear to take hunting would be, and any other advice or knowledge anyone would like to impart to me. I currently have a camoflauge jacket, and possibly pants depending on how cold it is, a hunger orange mesh vest, binoculars, a rifle (of course), a swiss army knife, a sharp skinning knife, and a gps. Two things I specifically want advice about are what is something appropriate to carry the kills in, and what is something that would be useful to carry extra ammo in. I've heard that leather tobacco bags and related simlair things can be good for ammo, as well as "dice" bags. I just want some more experienced opinions.

Oh, as a side note, due to my previous experience with falconers and many hours spent watching and reading about squirrels and rabbits I know their habitat fairly well and can generally recognize good hunting spots. I'm definitely no expert, but I just thought I'd throw that in there so I don't waste anyone's time.

Please, please, PLEASE tell me anything else I may need to know, and to those of you willing to read this whole thing I greatly appreciate it, and thanks in advance to anyone willing to help me out.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: I'm a brand new hunter

first off. check your regs. not all those animalsare in right now. And at least here in ohio, if you just start shooting beaver, you'll get in trouble haha. That being said. the .22 is your best bet for smaller game. squirrel rabbit coon things like that. Ive even taken a few 'yotes with a .22lr. Not recommended tho. the .17 is good for groundhog, crow, 'yotes, any other nuisance animals. Just get out there and have fun, make sure your legal tho.

For dressing. make a cut at the back of the animal, put your fingers in and pull the skin off. cut the legs and head off once the skin is pulled that far. Than make a cut over the stomach skin, (dont punch a hole in the guts) long enough to get your fingers in and pull it all out. then soak the cleaned meat in slat water and cook or freeze, yuour ready for some good eating!
-Jake
Old 01-21-2009, 08:23 PM
Spike

Thanks a lot for the quick reply. Yes, I've been sure to read up on my regs. I actually carry the season list with me. Beaver has no closed season here in Alabama. And all the animals I listed are in season now. Where exactly do I make the cut and in what direction? Thanks again.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:44 AM
Spike

Anyone else got any advice?
Old 01-22-2009, 05:47 AM
Super Moderator

This is a good squirrel skinning video, -->
http://www.dropshots.com/videolink.p...mp;showVideo=1
The .22 is better suited for squirrels.
If you can find it, Lousiann Wild Rice mix is good for squirrel.
The kind that youuse hamburger or chicken with.
Just fix the squirrel instead of hamburger or chicken, it will be tender and tastey.
The squirrel tail is wantedfor flie tieing.
You can a vest made for hunting squirrel, with a big pouch made on the back, or a dove vest will do.
You put them in the back, just make sure they are dead.
Since you have a bolt action rifle, get some extra magizines, to bring loaded.
A squirrel or dove vest will have pockets to put the magizines in.
Check with your local Community College, in the taxidermy part.
There studints will want the hides.
If you get a good one have it mounted, the students will love to do it for you.
Espesaly if you get an albino squirrel.
As far as hunting squirrel, just walk slowly, and stop, and stand next to a tree, or sit down next to a tree, or stump.
Just stay still for arount 10 minutes, squirrels have a short attention span.
The will forget you are there and move.
Carry a pocket of small rocks, about the size of a nickle.
If a squirrel goes on the back side of a tree, stand still, and throw a stone on the other side,
on the ground past were the squirrel is.
The squirrel will come around to your side, and then you can get a shot.
Take two compass's with you.
You always can get lost and a compass will help you get back.
The extra ons is incase you loose the first one.
Beleave me you can loose the first one, I have.
Alway put a peace of paper where some one can find, with where you are hunting at.
So incase you don't come out, there will be a starting point for some one to find you.
Carry some TP, you will need it at some point.
And some bottled water, and a snack.
If you hunt all day carry an extra pair of real wool socks, and change them about lunch time.
It will make youfeel rested, and recharged, it really works.
Wool keeps you warm even when wet.
You don't need all camo, but it helps.
Don't forget the hunter orange.
Take a buddy or two with you.
I hope this is helpfull.
Good Luck

Old 01-22-2009, 05:56 AM
Spike

Wow that is extremely helpful. Thanks a lot. Would a GPS suffice for the compass? It's rare that I can't aquire the satellites (even in thunderstorms I can), but in the event that I can't I have the entrance to the woods where I want to hunt saved as coordinance and it can estimate my movement if I put that as my starting point. I also plan to carry an extra map with me. Auburn is a full university but the veterinary department is huge. I'm sure there's bound to be some taxidermy students, and if not then there is a community college less than 10 miles away. About the magazines: I have a Savage, and it's really difficult to find aftermarket parts for them. I think the only place I can acquire a magazine is if I order it directly from the factory and I'm afraid that will be really expensive. And on the hides, so there's nothing that I really need to do to them after I pull them off. They won't rot or anything?
Old 01-22-2009, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator

Wal-mart has extra magizines for about $12.00 to $14.00
That's where I got them for my marlin .22 magnum bolt action.
A GPS Will do fine.
I wish you lived in NC, I would love to hunt with another person.
Well thats enaugh of my rambling on.

Good Luck, and Post some pictures, O.K.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:34 AM
Spike

I don't think either of the wal marts around me have any... I'll probably just end up buying them online. There is a Dick's and an Academy around here as well as a really nice gun shop. I'll have to check there but I bet it'll be way to expensive. That squirrel video is great, thanks again.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:49 AM
Dominant Buck

About the only thing I could reccomend that you add to your list is a mentor, if you check the forums here you'll soon find one near you. Best of luck and welcome to hunting!
Old 01-23-2009, 05:49 AM
Spike

I'll create a post about that right now. Great idea.

Quick Reply: I'm a brand new hunter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.