Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Scope Q

Old 01-08-2009, 03:17 PM

Default Scope Q

Is a 4x12 scope decent for coyote hunting?
Old 01-08-2009, 03:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Scope Q

im not no expert on scopes but i think it a pretty good scope
Old 01-08-2009, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some prefer a lower setting on the low end because there are times that the action can get real close real quick and 4 power can fill up with fur in a hurry. Keep it set on the lowest power until the higher power/longer shot presents itself, and you should do fine. Kind of depends on the terrain that you hunt. I hunt a lot of open country and can see the action, usually, well before it's in my lap. If you hunt an area that has a lot of heavy vegetation and might not be able to see an incoming predator before it's within 50 yards and closing, than the 4 power might not be low enough.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:08 PM

ORIGINAL: Howler

Some prefer a lower setting on the low end because there are times that the action can get real close real quick and 4 power can fill up with fur in a hurry. Keep it set on the lowest power until the higher power/longer shot presents itself, and you should do fine. Kind of depends on the terrain that you hunt. I hunt a lot of open country and can see the action, usually, well before it's in my lap. If you hunt an area that has a lot of heavy vegetation and might not be able to see an incoming predator before it's within 50 yards and closing, than the 4 power might not be low enough.
Ok cool, i'm in the high desert area, so can be open, but mostly flat w/ few rolling hills and heavy juniper so i don't think i will ever be taking a 500 yard shot. I'd say 300 max.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:10 PM
Typical Buck

a 4x12 is plenty and like howler said up close it's almost to much thats what I use.