Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 best spot to aim on a squirrel with pellet gun? >

best spot to aim on a squirrel with pellet gun?

Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

best spot to aim on a squirrel with pellet gun?

Old 01-24-2009, 06:38 AM

Default RE: best spot to aim on a squirrel with pellet gun?

ORIGINAL: kevin1

Switch to a hollow point pellet.
i would but they dont make a non-lead hollowpoint and im not shooting lead pellets out of it because the last 2 pelletguns i have owned the barrels have corroded because of the lead left in the barrels
Old 01-24-2009, 09:32 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: best spot to aim on a squirrel with pellet gun?

Pellet gun for squirrels??? LOL. I don't use one but back in the days when I did, I shoot them in the head. If you miss the head forget about it. Body shots are risky and you take the chances of just wounding them. They are pretty tough when it comes to pellet guns. I use a .22 LR and sometime when I hit thier body they still climb pretty good and second shots are needed. Head shots are best.
Old 04-28-2020, 09:55 AM
Spike

Default RE: best spot to aim on a squirrel with a pellet gun?

My favorite way to do it is to aim at the upper neck, just behind the ear. This works especially well if you are using something like a .177 because instead of punching through bone, it is punching through soft tissue which gives greater penetration while also severing the spinal cord from the brain stem, which drops them dead instantly. They don't even twitch. The only drawback to this method is that you have to be an experienced marksman to land this kind of shot perfectly. I will also say that you have to be closer to the squirrel to make the shot easier to hit. But regardless, if you are looking to make it as painless as possible for the squirrel, and to keep them from running away or moving, this is your best bet.
Old 07-16-2020, 05:52 AM
Spike

Always go for the head shot. yes, the target is a little smaller but it is the best spot. You either hit and kill or miss and do not wound the squirrel.
Old 07-19-2020, 05:44 PM
Spike

Go for the head if you can easily but I usually just go for a body shot, I've never lost a squirrel with a body shot though so thats usually what i go for.
Old 02-16-2021, 06:29 AM
Spike

Default today

i killed 2 out of 5 that have gotten into the attic. .177. pointed lead. 12 pumps. 900-1000fps. 5-15 yards. behind the eye is best. throough the lungs is good also. anywhere else you have barley touched them. one shot one kill. humane and safe are inportant to me (i need to zero in the 4x15 scope. i like to see the eye in the scope)
Old 03-20-2022, 02:50 PM
Spike

I always strive for a humane shot. As long as you shoot them in the brain or chest they are going down. I take the shot that is given me. Sometimes a head shot does not present itself. In that case I go for the chest shot into the heart/lung area. Some people are put off by flopping around of a brain shot squirrel. Provided it was a well placed shot to the brain, it is instantly killed and the flopping is only the nerves. Always follow up with a quick kill shot if a squirrel is wounded.