Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Low Budget Call

Old 01-03-2009, 12:57 AM
Typical Buck

Default Low Budget Call

I am just starting to get intohunting coyotes. Iboughtand set up a rifle, now Ineed a call. I know that theoverwhelming reply is going to be a FoxPro, but Ijust can't bring myself tospending that much money on a call for coyotes right now.

So, what would you suggest for a decent low budget call?
Old 01-03-2009, 10:41 PM
Spike

Default RE: Low Budget Call

Well I got a some Buck Gardner predator hand calls which are about $12.00. And as just one to have I bought a Johnny Stewart Mini predator Call (Pred 2 model) its pretty loud and will only run you about $40.00. But if you want a good hand call there's a guy Mike on this board who custom makes call I'm supposed to get one soon but anyway he has a lot of options its at PurePredator.com there a good deal for a real custom made call, If you look around on this board you'll find him. And then to go along with those my pack is stuffed with all different kinds of calls under $20 Haydels,Knight And Hale,WoodWise,Primos,Mad Calls and some Johnny stewart hand calls.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:18 AM
Fork Horn

strutntom

$25 boombox
$10 roll speaker wire (50 foot)
$10 speaker (old car as long as its not blown)
$10 johnny steward tape
$5for batteriesor (6 volt rechargable with charger $30)I use my 6 volt trailcam battery (just solder wires on the pos. and neg. battery termanals of the boombox (drill small hole in battery cover for wires)and hook to the 6volt battery
$10 dollar backpack

OR just use the BOOMBOX if you have good cover

Old 01-04-2009, 10:19 AM
Fork Horn

You can pick up any mouth blown distress call on the shelf and have good success. They should not cost you more than $10-$15. If you want an inexpensive electronic caller then follow these directions.

Follow the directions here

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/homemadeecaller.shtml]http://www.predatormastersforums.com/homemadeecaller.shtml

Then go to a site like Varmint Als and download some sounds.

http://www.varmintal.com/ahunt.htm]http://www.varmintal.com/ahunt.htm

I have been using his 16min sequence lately and it has been working well.

I think I have around $60 into this one.

Spend some time on Varmint Al's site in the predator section reading. He has some sound advice. Good luck
Old 01-04-2009, 04:10 PM

Check out Tony Tebbes custom calls and Carver Predator Calls. I LOVE both, and their production series calls are usually $17 or less shipped. Anyone can afford that, and they sound great. I am almost to the point that I like hand calls MUCH better than my varmint al style ecaller. You can control what sound you are putting out and mix it up alot.

I bought a minaska amp instead of radio shack, it gets MUCH louder and crisper sounding as well. Not sure if they make them anymore, bought mine used for like 30 bucks. Uses an 8AA battery pack, and lasts several days on it. Use rechargeables and it has a charger port to charge them, no replacing batteries.

I use my ecaller more for crows and hand calls more for predators.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:24 PM
Typical Buck

An affordable E-caller is the prey master from Johnny Stewart, alot of call cards, and they work well. Hunter specialtys stands behind the product very well. About $150 is what you will spend, well worth the price.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Varmint Al's Elcheapo

Old 01-05-2009, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

All wrapped up in a fanny pack

Old 01-05-2009, 12:28 PM
Typical Buck

Well, in terms of low budget calls, what are you looking for, an e-call or mouth call? If its a mouth call, look into Primos or Knight & Hale as well as the Johnny Stewart calls. But I have been informed and do agree with this thought, that custom made calls are the way to go as they are not mass produced and will give you far more realistic sounds that you are looking for with practice. If you cant pony up the money like myself right now, then look into the Manufactures that I mentioned, and when you can spend the extra cash, look into a custom call for your hunting. I know I am very soon.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:34 PM

ORIGINAL: StrutNtom

I am just starting to get into hunting coyotes. I bought and set up a rifle, now I need a call. I know that the overwhelming reply is going to be a FoxPro, but I just can't bring myself to spending that much money on a call for coyotes right now.

So, what would you suggest for a decent low budget call?
If you are just getting started, why not get a couple hand calls and give them a go. It is not hard to learn and you don't have to lug all that equipment along. You would be amazed at the things I've called in just sitting on my deck and practicing!

Quick Reply: Low Budget Call

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.