Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 Should I buy this .204 or not? CONCERNED >

Should I buy this .204 or not? CONCERNED

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Should I buy this .204 or not? CONCERNED

Old 12-29-2008, 10:46 AM

Default Should I buy this .204 or not? CONCERNED

I have a chance to buy a used Ruger M77 Mark II chambered in .204 with a synthetic stock and a 20 inch stainless barrell with about 1 box of shells through it; my concern is in the barrell length. I am looking for a long range varmint rig and cannot visualize getting the accuracy that I would like out of such a short barrell. Most of the varmint rigs that I was pricing before I found out about this one are in the 24-26 inch range with a heavy contour. I would not even be battling with this if it was not such a good deal for a gun that I know has been taken care of. What do you all think.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:54 AM

Default RE: Should I buy this .204 or not? CONCERNED

The powder should be burned up and the bullet stabilized in a 20 inch barrel. If the deal is to good to pass up Don't. What will you be shooting with it? If your shooting coyotes I wouldn't be too concerned about long range with a .204 cause with a .204 I wouldn't shoot them much over 200 to 300 yds.Of course there are some that will disagree so this is just my opinion. Good luck in whatever you decide.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Are you a reloader? If so, you would be able to find an accurate load no matter the barrel length. When you say long range, is that 400-500 yards, or 300 yards and less? As far as the barrel length goes, it's been found that a 24" .204 barrel is about optimum for the speed that the round can deliver. And IMO, 26" just isn't called for in any circumstance. As far as speed goes, the only "test" that I have seen concerning barrel length shows that between a 20" barrel and a 24" barrel with the same ammo. only looses approx. 75fps. Not much.
Does the seller have any targets as proof to the shooting ability of the rifle? If he/she could show methat the rifle is capable of groups that I can accept, then that would make my mind up for me,and if the price wasto good to pass up.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:54 PM

Yes, I am a loader and as far as long distance goes I think 300-350 is my max. The accuracy testament is only verbal, but he is trusted. Sounds like a 20 incher may not be a problem.

Another question----What about muzzle jump? One of the reasons I like the .204 is that you can see the "show" but with the shorter then average barrel do you think it will have considerably more jump to the point you cannot see your impact.

I just went to Rugers site and it seems as though they have discontinued the Mark II-----------bad idea in my mind!
Old 12-29-2008, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are a few factors to consider when wanting/expecting to see target impact. Obviously the weight of the gun/barrelwillmake a difference, then thedistance of the shot and the power of scope setting. If you've got a scope set on 16x and shooting a target 100 yards away, I doubt that you'll be able to see bullet impact. Shoot a target at 300 yards on 10x, and you would probably see impact. The .204 doesn't kick that much, but it ain't no .22 mag. either!
Old 12-30-2008, 08:47 PM
Typical Buck

A longer barrel doesn't mean it will be more accurate,I have a m77markII compact with a 16 1/2 inch barrel and I have got 5/8 inch three shot groups at 100 yards with black hills ammo,you will lose some velocity but not enough to make a difference in the 204.To be more accurate a triggeror a trigger job on the existing trigger will be better than a longer barrel.A 20 inch tube is about ideal for a packing gun and plenty long enough to outshoot the shooter who ever they may be.the triggers on some ruger aren't great I installed a rifle basics trigger on mine and it's fully adjustable and very smooth and less than $90 a good investment,some of the rugers have an adjustable trigger.Good Luck!!
Old 01-01-2009, 07:36 PM

As an update to all who advised me here, I took the Ruger out and shot it the other day and was really disappointed, it would not group under 1.25 inches andhad a terrible heavy trigger pull. I used three different boxes of ammo and had the same results with all. I do not blame this on the short barrel but just think that this particular gun is not the shooter I was looking for. At least I got to shoot if first...
Old 01-01-2009, 08:28 PM
Typical Buck

the trigger could be at fault,most factory triggers are not good to say the least some are awefull.good luck!!
Old 01-02-2009, 11:37 PM

Sounds like it sucks...move on. Get something else or wait to save up more.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:27 AM

I have had a few Ruger MKII's and all but one had terrible triggers. They are the "lawyer proof" triggers. The new Hawkeye's are a little better. It is also my experience that the 40gr bullets outshoot the 32gr. Which did you try?

If you want a good value for a .204 give the Remington SPS Varmint a look. I have a Savage Model 12 LowProfile VFS w/AccuTrigger that is a true TackDriver but it is very heavy and very pricey. My son got the Remington and it shoots just as well, has a heavy varmint barrel but weighs much less and costs about $300 less!!!

The Savage Predator Hunter is a good gun. Short heavy barrel swings faster when needed but still very accurate. But Pricey as well.

Again, Give the Remington SPS Varmint a look. You can find them on GunBroker or GunsAmerica or local Remington dealer.

Quick Reply: Should I buy this .204 or not? CONCERNED

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.