HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   Coyotes in the East (Maryland). (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/280315-coyotes-east-maryland.html)

Changeling 12-28-2008 01:18 PM

Coyotes in the East (Maryland).

We have a few coyotes here in Maryland but no one ever heres them howl, why? They howl in the west don't they.

coyote#68 12-28-2008 08:53 PM

RE: Coyotes in the East (Maryland).

I hear them at low light or dark here in KY,I dont hear them in daylight much.Have you ever tried to use a locater howl to get them to howl at dark,we cant hunt them at night here but we can howl at them to locate them at night and it usually works after the pups leave the den.I dont know about out west,they have far more coyotes than we do!!Good Luck!!

Changeling 12-29-2008 02:56 PM

I really don't know what a coyote "locator" call is, I have always just used a dying rabbit type call (Weems wildcall), I've been able to call in owls/fox/cats/mink/ and a few other things. Sometimes I am amazed at what comes in and how, I've been using it for a long time but it seems to have lost it's tone so I will be looking for a replacement call.

What is a "locator" call and who makes a reasonably priced one?

Changeling

coyote#68 12-30-2008 09:06 PM

Coyotes can be located by a long howl or a siren sound or a group howl which will require two or more howlers or an e-caller,locating coyotes will just let you know where they are at that present time,they usually dont come in but they might.If you are calling in all these other critters then there is probably nothing wrong with your call,if the foxes that you call in are reds then you are probably doing everthing right,reds dont usually just rush in like grays do to the call(this is from study not experience,we have way more coyotes than any other critters where I live in KY,the only fox I have ever had come to the call was when I saw one deer hunting and lip squeaked him in)but a red will come in and try to smell everything to see if its cool.So if you are using a rabbit in distress you already have the right call you are probably in an area with few coyotes and none in hearing distance when you call,you may be on the edge of a coyotes territory and not in his prime hunting area.Owls,hawks and crows are easy to call they cant smell you,set up quietly and keep on calling and you will call one in if he's around!Good Luck!!

coyote#68 12-30-2008 09:09 PM

You can pick up a howler for les than $20 I sometimes use one made by primos and I also use one by knight and hale there are several good ones.

JimboHunter1 12-31-2008 11:43 AM

We hear them in Western Maryland all the time.

Changeling 01-02-2009 01:50 PM

ORIGINAL: JimboHunter1

JimboHunter1. Where in MD are you from, I'm just south of Frederick MD. I have never heard one.

coyote#68, I'm going to get one of those howler calls as you suggested and see if I can't get some response from them.
The state cops in my area have said they are seeing more of them then they used to but still very few.
As for the red vs grey fox it is something I am starting to have a hard time believing in, I call in fox here right to my yard and out in hunting and there are a "lot" of them in my area. I see what is considered grey and red fox's all the time, but I also see either mutations or something else that exhibit both characteristics/none. For instance I have what the neighbors call my red head fox! He has practically a solid red head and the rest of him is pure grey fox, definitely weird looking, but everyone leaves him alone because he cleans out the field mice around the house. I throw him some scraps every now and then to keep him in the area.

coyote#68 01-02-2009 10:06 PM

We have so many coyotes around my area that I haven't seen a gray fox in over 20 years,and that was before the coyotes got so populated,I still see an occasional red fox every now and then,but never during season.The foxes that are red with some gray are usually red foxes,some of them have a lot of gray in their tails and a dark tip on it instead of the normal white tip.I wish we still had as many foxes as we used to,we are getting more bobcats and are able to hunt them in all counties now.

vapredhunter 01-02-2009 11:00 PM

Here in Southwest Virginia we have some small pockets of coyotes,you may hear them howl in one area of the county and never hear them10 miles east.We hear them alot from now till March during the mating season and the pups will make alot of noise there after.they have hurt the turkey populations.We call in and shoot @ night many grey fox they are all sorts of colors but the reds are much bigger and many variatuions of red and some will even have black legs and feet.I grew up in Charles County Maryland and in the 80's shot Reds that were strawberry blond all over but never seen a grey and that was a while before the coyotes showed up so i bet the have hurt the overall populations. Heres a grey i shot with my bow.

JimboHunter1 01-03-2009 01:34 PM

ORIGINAL: Changeling

ORIGINAL: JimboHunter1

JimboHunter1. Where in MD are you from, I'm just south of Frederick MD. I have never heard one.

coyote#68, I'm going to get one of those howler calls as you suggested and see if I can't get some response from them.
The state cops in my area have said they are seeing more of them then they used to but still very few.
As for the red vs grey fox it is something I am starting to have a hard time believing in, I call in fox here right to my yard and out in hunting and there are a "lot" of them in my area. I see what is considered grey and red fox's all the time, but I also see either mutations or something else that exhibit both characteristics/none. For instance I have what the neighbors call my red head fox! He has practically a solid red head and the rest of him is pure grey fox, definitely weird looking, but everyone leaves him alone because he cleans out the field mice around the house. I throw him some scraps every now and then to keep him in the area.
Changeling- my hunting ground is in Clear Spring, MD which is about 40 minutes west of you. They tend to travel in groups out there and when they're around, you'll hear 10-20 howling together sometimes. They yip, howl, and make a heck of a racket... I saw one in the dark the morning of the gun opener this year. Too bad he didn't come by my ground blind about a half hour later!