Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 Tips for bait coons in 30 degree weather. >

Tips for bait coons in 30 degree weather.

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Tips for bait coons in 30 degree weather.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default Tips for bait coons in 30 degree weather.

im out of school from the 19th to the 4th of january and lookin to do alot of hunting and trapping. what are good cold wather bait for footholds and a live trap. i usually use marshmallows but they dont work very good in winter. any ideas and also any other tips on set ups and where at. thanks alot.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:38 PM
Spike

Default RE: Tips for bait coons in 30 degree weather.

I picked up all my foot traps the first time it snowed I just stick with body traps but if you only have foot traps you may as well use them. I usually try to find some big ol cottonwood trees close to a creek and set the trap at the base of the tree or a smaller tree near by. I use peanut butter, sardines, marshmellows, canned catfood and whatever else I can find in the kitchen. Although now that it started freezing at night and theres snow on the ground I started sprinkling some rock salt on my bait or even just mixing it in with the bait to try to keep it from freezing. good luck.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:47 PM
Fork Horn

thanks, theres a group of like 4 big oaks like a foot away from the crick they kinda make like giant step and thats where i usually get them but not since its been below 30 degrees here in indiana.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

If i know i am in for a cold stretch, i try to concentrate my traps in small creeks that have water flwoing thru them. if the water is moving at all, then the temp will have to get much lower than 30 to freeze the water. Also, i now use dried dog food for coon bait. Dirt cheap and they love it.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:36 AM
Typical Buck

sardines or mackeral is good for coons!