Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Rabbit Hunting

Old 12-17-2008, 07:41 PM
Spike

Default Rabbit Hunting

Do you need a dog to rabbit hunt? Where are the best places to rabbit hunt and what is the best gun to use for rabbit's?
Old 12-17-2008, 09:05 PM

Default RE: Rabbit Hunting

You can hunt almost anywhere for rabbits depending on your area. If predators are high in the area you hunt it may be a little tougher but I usually have good luck hunting fence rows, around barns, farming equipment, tree lines etc. Rabbits are usually everywhere. You don't really need a dog though it does help. I usually hunt with my brother in law and we take turns kicking around brush to kick them up. When hunting fence rows usually one of us walks right next to the fence row and the other walks about 5 or 10yards awayto take the shots when a rabbit jumps. I use a 12 ga with6 shot and a modified chokebut a .410 would work good too. I wouldn't use anything bigger than a 12 ga though. Justbe sure to aim for the head when you take the shot so you don't ruin the meat in the hind end or gut shot the rabbit.

Good luck, hope this helps!
Old 12-18-2008, 10:30 AM
Spike

.22lr or a shotgun 12ga. or smaller with No.6 or lighter shot.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

If you have got the time and inclination to work with them, you might consider getting a couple of beagles. Turning a couple of them loose in a big briar thicket and watching/hearing all hell break loose is one of my favorite things.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:20 AM
Fork Horn

I use a 20ga its lighter
Old 01-06-2009, 12:21 PM
Fork Horn

i use a 12gauge and i just kick around brush and fence rows
Old 01-06-2009, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Theres really no one way to hunt rabbit, just like any other game animal. Some people wait on the edges of fields with a .22, and others run them with beagles. I used to run them with beagles and use my .20 gauge. We actually used to pack turkey loads. It gives you a little more punch. You notice any difference in recoil when a rabbit comes burnin' past you.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:44 PM
Fork Horn

No you don't need a beagle to hunt rabbits, although it can greatly increase your chances of being successful. Especially when hunting alone if you don't shoot the rabbit when you jump it, you most likely won't get another chance. The dogs can give you several chances if needed. The thickest of briars and treetops, but not so much in deep woods,more near fields, plus tall grass fields "crep fields" are really productive. Anyshotgun other than 10 gauge, or a 22 will work if aimed correctly. It'll be hard to hit one running with a 22 though. I shoot most rabbits that circle after they stop hopping, but always use a 20 gauge for them running or shooting through the brush shots that would be difficult with a 22.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

best scoped rabbit and squirrel gun is a .17HMR
Old 01-08-2009, 09:46 PM

make it a challenge. use a slingshot.

Quick Reply: Rabbit Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.