Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 Killed CUJO this morning! Good or Bad? >

Killed CUJO this morning! Good or Bad?

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Killed CUJO this morning! Good or Bad?

Old 12-17-2008, 09:55 AM
Spike

Default RE: Killed CUJO this morning! Good or Bad?

ORIGINAL: BetterBirddogs

ORIGINAL: KSPOLICEMAN
Me being a cop we look at all sides, and it never fails the guilty person always talks to much about what they done and ends up trying to make themselves look like a hero for there wrongdoing by twisting the story in a 180 degrees after the initial story.....

This is the biggest load of BS I have heard in a while. As a law enforcement officer you're taught to only look at whats legal. You and I both know it. You're "everyone is lying to me" cop mentality is exactly why people don't like police officers.

Bottom line is this: if you value your pet, keep it off my place. I don't care if it has new Christmas bows in its hair. If he's on my place up to no good then he's getting one in the engine room.
That is the same thing I thought, and I don't even have a criminal justice background. I don't hate cops I hate self-righteous people that propose to know more than they could know and if you give that person authority then they will go about trying to shape things how they want and assuming they know what has happened better than the people that went through it.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:39 PM

ORIGINAL: bigbucks98

Well for everyone that wants to know...it looked filthy, it got tested and tested + for rabies and wes nile. The farmers son watched it kill 13 TURKEYS in his turkey barn...and i didnt shoot the damn thing cause it interupted my hunt (idk where in the hell that came from)...the reason i did it is cause the day the dog got into the turkey barns, The farmers son called me and asked if id seen it before. I tole him no. Then he described the dog as a st. bernard and lookd hust like the dog CUJO. So when i seen it thats exactly the first thing that popped into my mind. Then a bit afterwards, we took the dog over to the turkey barns and looked at its paw compared to the muddy track by the barn door and guess what??? A POSITIVE MATCH...size,shape,length,width.
What was the reason it was tested for rabies and niles disease? Who took it to have it tested and again for what reason? Is that the law there? You shoot a dog and you have to have it tested and who paid for these services and as mention,how did you get the tests back so soon? If someone was bitten then they would rush the test I would think,But no one was bitten so there was no need for all these tests to be rushed or even taken for that matter.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:31 PM
Fork Horn

Sounds like you did the right thing. If it was a pet then the only person to blame is the owner. I've heard the excuse, "I moved to the country to let my dog run" excuse from too many pet owners, mainly due to the fact I see a dog on land I hunt once I try to track down the owner and let them know that one the dog is running and two what will happen if it continues, most don't like it but I have the law on my side. Stray or running dogs cause too many problems not to shoot them
Old 12-30-2008, 01:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Better check your local laws and make sure they are actually on your side. If you look at some recent court cases throughout the U.S. you will find a number of people who got arrested for shooting dogs even when they were on their own land and saw the dogs as a nuisance. Not trying to start an argument here, just stating facts. I was even confusedbecause i thought it was okay to shoot a dog for chasing game, but theni checked it out and found out that some folks have gotten in big trouble even for doing that.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:43 PM
Typical Buck

I dont shoot dogs.....Wild or pet Its still a dog and its doing what a dog do....Romping through the woods, chasing deer, Its there instincts.....I dont mind if other ppl shoot "Stray" dogs But i defintly WONT
Old 12-30-2008, 02:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well i got there and wasnt in the stand 15 or 20 minutes and i saw 2 does and a good sized 9 point with them and made the decision that i was goin to harvest him. Well he got to about 15 yards and stopped facin me? Looked beack and then halled balls out of the woods. I didnt know what happened...and then i heard more foot prints and though here comes MR. BIG. So i got setup and turns out it was a great big st. bernard looks just like cujo
Yeah, this sure sounds like he was really chasing deer alright! The 9 popinter actually walked in and stopped facing you.. Only after looking back and hereing the dogs feet hitting the ground did the deer run. Just like you could of scared a deer away walking right? Oh yeah, you are such a great hunter you would not of possibly scared a deer away by walking... I have to agree with KSPOLICEMAN on this one though and say it is to bad you never got caught with it.. Here it is a fellony to shoot any dog as well, but i know if I had livestock and it was doing damage to them or was attacking someone only then could I decide to shoot it. I also wonder if this really happened or you are just making it all up. Because believe me I find it hard to find someone this stupid.. You give all hunters a bad name...
Old 12-30-2008, 02:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

That's the issue when someone shoots a dog, whether their story will hold up under scrutiny. Based on what he said, one could suspectthatthe dog was endangering livestock and i would be inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt. Whether the local police would see it the same wayis the issue since in some states, they only see it as justified if the animal is caught in the act of attacking livestock. On the other hand, if it is just someonesdog that has wandered off and is chasing deer then he would be on shaky ground since no onehas likely ever seen a St. Bernardstay withina country mile of mature deer it was chasing, so you cant really prove that it was attacking or endangering the deer. Of course all of that is gonna depend on local laws and precedents set by court cases. What one person can get away with in one county may get you 30 days in jail and a couple grand in fines in another. That is why it is always smart to make sure you know your facts before you pull the trigger.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

here we go again[:@]
Old 12-30-2008, 06:11 PM
Spike

some of you idiots should not be allowed to carry a weapon of any type.. stray is ok and actually making the area safer, but a pet???????? Ignorant!
Old 12-31-2008, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

Nice range of attitudes here. I think the original intent was for someone to discuss shooting a dog that, by all indications, was clearly a nuisance animal. It is a very far leap to go from there to the attitude that you can shoot any dog you see out running rabbits or deer. Even if you do feel justified in doing so, sometimes itcan bea great way to alienate neighbors and likely get your butt kicked. I can't stand cats running around eating small game, but you can bet your butt that I would think twice about shooting one that I know belonged to my neighbor. That would be a wonderful way for me to lose access to 120 acres of prime hunting ground. Sometimes what you think is the "right" thing to do can turn out to be pretty stupid in the long run. Think it thru before you pull the trigger on any tame animal.
Yep, the "range of attitudes" is amazing. I can't help but laugh at this thread, though. The last time I encountered stray dogs while bow hunting was Tennessee's opening day of bow season this year. I was field dressing my first deer of the year when two pups came running in, all skin and bones, swollen guts from starvation. The only way I could finish the guttingjob was to either kill them or put them in the truck. I couldn't run them off - they wouldn't leave. So,I put them in the truck and brought them home. Found a home for one with one of my fellow St. Jude employees, and the other has a nice, cushy home at my house.

I don't feel comfortable with shooting stray dogs, but I understand that sometimes it's necessary. Shooting someone's pet, though? My personal opinion of anyone who would shoot a dog with a collar that is obviously someone's pet is.... well, I won't even post it on here. I'd probably get banned.

Quick Reply: Killed CUJO this morning! Good or Bad?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.