Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 Killed CUJO this morning! Good or Bad? >

Killed CUJO this morning! Good or Bad?

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Killed CUJO this morning! Good or Bad?

Old 12-15-2008, 06:51 PM

Default RE: Killed CUJO this morning! Good or Bad?

ORIGINAL: WV Hunter

Like anyone'swoods are loaded with Feral dogs.

we don't have woods out here, but a few years back a goat rancher was having problems with a pack of feral pitbullmix killing his goats, they ended up getting the sherrifs dpt involved becuase they were running onto someone elses land, and the goat rancher had lost a pretty considerable amount of livestock...

the thing about living around here is alot of people are too poor to keep their pets so they drive down a county road in the country and drop them off...[&:]

Old 12-15-2008, 06:54 PM
Typical Buck

If the deer ran from the dog, the dog was a problem. I would have shot it myself. Let your dog run free in Illinois, probebly never see it again.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:59 PM
Typical Buck

Pet or Stray,you did a good job!Obviously the owner didn't care about the dog to be letting it run lose during deer season!I own a few beagles and love them to death,but wouldn't dare let them run lose during deer season.I don't even rabbit hunt with them until deer season is over.You did good!Any dog I see in the deer woods during season is going down,even if it has a colar on it!
Old 12-15-2008, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mongo, I'm not saying they aren't out there. But a St Bernard trailing some deer...come on. In your situation, absolutely...but totally different.

In almost all cases its not the dogs fault, they don't know they are not supposed to be a dog. Common sense needs to prevail, not just getting pissed at your spoiled chance and taking it out on someones pet. Nobody here would want their pet shot....so keep that in mind. I try hard to keep my dogs penned up during deer season, but sometimes they get out and run. They certainly aren't feral, and don't make it a habit of chasing deer...but they are dogs. I'd be pissed if someone shot one of them, as I'm sure some of you would yours.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:03 PM
Fork Horn

I've been hunting since I was 12 yrs old. (I'm now 55) There have been numerous times when family/hunting dogs have chased after deer. I would hate to think that if my lab braking away on a deer trail andfinding her dead with an arrow through her. Don't try rationalizing that this St. Bernard would have run down a full grown deer and killed it. Its guys like you who give our sport a bad name. I guarantee if I witnessed such an event, you would be carrying your bow parts home in a sack.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well if someone owns that dog I wouldn't be posting it on the internet cause you can get in a lot of trouble for that.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:52 PM
Fork Horn

Where we hunt deer and turkeys, there is a standing rule with the rancher that we're to shoot stray dogs. Over the years we've killed a number of dogs, and the rancher still has suffered significant losses to his cattle. One time, three dogs had been loose for weeks and the rancher lost three or four heifers to them. One day, my hunting partner heard them barking and a heifer bawling, so he headed toward the noise. The dogs had the cow pinned in the corner of a fence and were working her over. He shot all three dogs with his turkey guy, and I thought the rancher was going to kiss him. Another time, I was running a trap line on the ranch, and a deer ran by me going full speed. Less than a minute later, I hear an animla panting and here comes a big German Shepard. A few .22LRs later, that shepard's deer chasing career was over.

The only dog I've ever seen on the ranches that I couldn't bring myself to shoot was a yellow lab that had gotten out. The rest have been rottweilers, dobermans, pitbulls, shepards, and other similar breeds. They're all in doggie heaven.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would be very hesitant to shoot a dog unless it was clearly identified as a nuisance animal that was endangering livestock in my presence. My land is in an area where lots of people let their dogs run loose and they are pretty much harmless. If i shot every dog that i thought might be running deer from time to time, i would get run out of the county.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:44 PM
Spike

Clean kill. A pack of strays can be much worse than any natural born predator cause they have very little to no fear of humans, they commonly kill for fun, and do to their lacking the fear of humansthey could hurt small children in the area.

To you guys that are saying it is no good. The dog had been seen around causing a nuisance. It is a good kill those animals are unsafe.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont blame ya.

Quick Reply: Killed CUJO this morning! Good or Bad?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.