Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

coyote hunting...please help!!

Old 12-05-2008, 06:56 PM

Default coyote hunting...please help!!

i would like to get into coyote hunting. what do i need to get started. i only have 1 call and its called thumper from verminators. i've been told to get an electric call but i don't have that much extra money to spend. what's a good cheap electric call? i have a savage .17 hmr. can i hunt them with this? i have to hunt with something .22 cal. or less because im going to hunt on state land. any other info would be great. thanks!

-matt
Old 12-05-2008, 08:43 PM

Default RE: coyote hunting...please help!!

i'm no coyote hunting connoisseur by any means, but that .17 HMR is a bad (bad, as in FREAKIN AWESOME!!!) cartridge. I actually have never hunted coyotes, but I have killed them with my savage 9r17. I have killed them and dogs with them, some out as far as 100 yards too. I would suggest head shots at those ranges, but I also know from experience that a body shot at that range will also kill them. I like the hollow points for larger body animals, either that or the heavier bullets you can get for them, not the 17 grainers. The regular ballistic tips everyone shoots are fine too.

If you had a 22 mag and could use it, that would also be a good bet.

but .17 hmr is hands down more capable of killing the coyote more quickly and efficiently that the 22lr.

hope this helps.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've seen a lot of yotes shot and shot quite a few myself,and a couple of our guys bought .17hmrs and shot several yotes. The results is 1/2 to 1/3 of them would run off from solid hits in chest cavity(based on those we recovered). The problem seemed to get worse past 100 yards with .17s. I'm sure head shots should make a difference tho. These observations was based on 14 yotes shot with .17s and 10 of those of them recovered,either farther away on same farm,or next farm over. In MY opinion,shooting yotes with .17 CAN be done with precise shot placement but personally I'd MUCH rather have a .22 magnum,.22 K hornet,or bigger.

ORIGINAL: sngehl01
i'm no coyote hunting connoisseur by any means, but that .17 HMR is a bad (bad, as in FREAKIN AWESOME!!!) cartridge. I actually have never hunted coyotes, but I have killed them with my savage 9r17. I have killed them and dogs with them, some out as far as 100 yards too. I would suggest head shots at those ranges, but I also know from experience that a body shot at that range will also kill them. I like the hollow points for larger body animals, either that or the heavier bullets you can get for them, not the 17 grainers. The regular ballistic tips everyone shoots are fine too.
If you had a 22 mag and could use it, that would also be a good bet.
but .17 hmr is hands down more capable of killing the coyote more quickly and efficiently that the 22lr.
hope this helps.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:45 PM

Matt, if money is an issue get a few more hand calls and practice and you'll do fine. I bought a cheap electronic call when I first started and now regret it, with electronic calls you get what you pay for. I fight a cord and poor connections. Get a few more hand calls, play the wind, hide movement as much as possible and you'll start putting fur on the ground. If you're hunting alone once you see the animal lip squeek if you can (I can't) or get a squeeker for about 10 dollars for close range calling. Get into it and when you're addicted, and I say when, then you can decide if you want an electronic call and get the one you want. If you're have to hunt with a 22 cal or lest stick with your .17 hrm, it will get the job done. There is a wealth of information on calling coyoteson the internet if you do a search, here is a guide for the basics to get you started. www.freecoyotehuntingguide.com Good luck and hope to see some pics posted soon!

Old 12-05-2008, 11:54 PM
Spike

I just started pretty recently and I used a mix of Johny Stewart Predator 2 E call its at bass pro. And then I use Wood wise and Knight and Hale Manual callers but i just ordered some Haydels and Buck Gardner to try those out. But yeah johnny Stewart e call was what called in my first
Old 12-06-2008, 03:38 AM

you can make your own e-caller out of a cheap MP3 player and some other things you can pick up at radio shack. there are instructions on varmintal.com we have used this call with great sucess that site also has calls you can download onto the mp3 player. as for the 17 i wouldnt shoot more than 50 yards or so with it unless you are a crack shot and shoot it in the face.

Old 12-06-2008, 12:10 PM
Typical Buck

I gotta ditto the Johnny Stewart Prey master. You should be able to pick one up for about $100. Do yourself a huge faver, and not buy one of the cheaper one, you won't have the volume or as many calls.

If your on public land you may be better of with a 12 gage, and dead coyote shells from heavy shot. It;s 'T' shot and in 3.5in. it's good out to about 70 yards with a good turkey gun.

Thumper is a good call, you can kill coyotes without a E-caller. Good luck
Old 12-06-2008, 12:39 PM

In MY opinion,shooting yotes with .17 CAN be done with precise shot placement but personally I'd MUCH rather have a .22 magnum,.22 K hornet,or bigger.
I totally agree, but I'm talking about between a 22lr and 17hmr. He said money was an issue (doesn't have much money to spend on a electric call, much less another gun). I was just trying to share that a .17 HMR is perfectly capable, but like all firearms, has it's limitations.

Wouldn't the best shell (22 or smaller) be a .220 swift or 22-250? I really don't know, someone feel free to enlighten me.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have to hunt with something .22 cal. or less because im going to hunt on state land. any other info would be great. thanks!
Look at your regs. If the regs. say ".22 cal." and not ".22 rim fire", then you can use a center fire rifle in the .22 cal. including a .223 or 22-250, or a .204, etc. If you don't have to restrict yourself to rim fire, I'd suggest going with a .22 center fire. Your results will be much better.
Still plenty of guys use hand calls only and kill plenty of coyotes. I'd spend my money on a center fire rifle, if I can use it legally, before buying an ecaller of any kind.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:00 PM

my state only allows rimfire on stateland.

Quick Reply: coyote hunting...please help!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.