Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

coyote hunting...please help!!

Old 12-06-2008, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: coyote hunting...please help!!

Then use your .17 with the heavier bullets,get a couple mouth calls of dying rabbit/faun,a howler mouth call,and get out there and ENJOY! Just remember to headshoot or keep your shots within say-75 yards on chest shots and you'll be ok. Good hunting! Neil

ORIGINAL: hunter_kid20
my state only allows rimfire on stateland.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:01 PM
Spike

Does your state allow shotguns on state land? This is all we use for them. We hunt with hounds in thick cover and rarely get a shot over 50yds. We have downed them out to 80yds on occasion. We use the hevi-shot brand turkey loads in isze 4 or larger depending on 12 or 20ga. One hard hitting, tight grouping shotshell.

When I called them in the southern part of the state among the corn field etc, Shot a few with the .22 at longer ranges. Not the best gun for it, but it worked. A friend uses his .17 now in that area with decent success.

Good luck in your hunts!

Steve
Old 12-10-2008, 03:40 PM
Spike

That .17hmr will work, but keep them inside 100yrds, and inside 75yrd is probably best. I would also look into getting some sort of field rest like a bi-bod or possibly build your own, but I would definitely look into getting something so you can place shots right. If you don't place your shots you won't put down too many song dogs with that little round. Is the rifle a semi-auto? A double tap (two shots in rapid succession right next to each other.) would put them down much better.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:42 PM
Fork Horn

Do not use the rimfires. Wound more then you recover, if u recover any. (Howler) is right see if they mean .22 CAL and not .22 RIMFIRE. But if i was guna do that then the 22 hornet or a shotgun with #4 buck would be the best. A .22 mag is still a rimfire but is much much better than the regular lr. but i still wouldnt reccomend it. And if your guna use a 17 HMR then u might as well invest in a 17 MACH 2...more accurate at longer ranges and lower pelt damage if u hit the bone.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:58 PM
Typical Buck

I would agree with getting some shooting sticks,I have a set that I made out of a cane pole they are great and very lightweight.I have a couple of bipods that I rarely use due to the weight issue at the front of the gun and the shooting sticks fold together and double as a walking stick if I need.Just make sure you are on a solid rest,but at 100 yards or less with a little practice you can pull of head shots from a sitting position without any sticks from the elbows on the knees rest.All the 17's that I have shot were crazy accurate so the gun is perfectly capable of poking a critters eye out at 100 yards so just go out and hunt.As for an E-caller if someone says you have to have one to call coyotes,then they haven't hunted them much,I have had coyotes come to turkey calls in the spring,a coyote will snatch the chance for a easy meal if your setup is good and he dont smell you.You dont have to be a professional caller to call a coyote,just make a lot of sets in areas near a coyote's living or hunting area's and sooner or later one will hear your call's and everything will seem right to him and he will be ten feet from you before you know it.Dont get discouraged,coyotes dont come in everytime they hear a call no matter what the sound,and a rabbit in distress sound of some sort has killed more coyotes than all others combined,even when there aren't very many rabbits around.Good Luck and Good Calling!!
Old 12-11-2008, 10:35 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: bigbucks98

Do not use the rimfires. Wound more then you recover, if u recover any. (Howler) is right see if they mean .22 CAL and not .22 RIMFIRE. But if i was guna do that then the 22 hornet or a shotgun with #4 buck would be the best. A .22 mag is still a rimfire but is much much better than the regular lr. but i still wouldnt reccomend it. And if your guna use a 17 HMR then u might as well invest in a 17 MACH 2...more accurate at longer ranges and lower pelt damage if u hit the bone.
Well I just disagree about the whole rimfires wound more than kill, and that you won't be likely to recover any yotes you shoot with it. But, you are provably wrong on the .17hm2 being better than the .17hmr, and here is the proof in the field your biggest obstacle to getting a good hit will be range estimation and wind drift. So if you have a flatter shooting caliber that bucks the wind, then you will be making more precise shots and shot placement is the difference between your claim of never recovering coyotes, and actually seeing the bodies.

Ballistic Charts
(you want to look at what some of the numbers on that it is interesting.)
Old 12-11-2008, 10:44 AM

ORIGINAL: Howler

Look at your regs. If the regs. say ".22 cal." and not ".22 rim fire", then you can use a center fire rifle in the .22 cal. including a .223 or 22-250, or a .204
Isn't a .204 a 20 cal.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:09 AM
Spike

hunter_kid20 "i have to hunt with something .22 cal. or less because im going to hunt on state land. any other info would be great. thanks!"

.20 is less than .22

hunter_kid20 "my state only allows rimfire on stateland."

So it is a mute point.

What state are you in hunterkid?

Old 12-12-2008, 04:48 PM
Fork Horn

yes a 204 is a .20 cal...use the first to digits.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:01 PM
Typical Buck

Your right, it's a 20 cal. I push a 32grn. hollow point at 4025 fps. at the muzzel. Hornady.

Quick Reply: coyote hunting...please help!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.