Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

coyotes with .22?

Old 12-03-2008, 04:11 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: coyotes with .22?

i would try 22 hornets
Old 12-03-2008, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with you jeepdude,just block him like I did,that you won't have to read his responses.Since he feels the same way about deer so we'll consider his posts for what they're worth-same as his opinion. Let him post that in the deer hunting section and see how many set him straight as we've done.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

yeah thats true
Old 12-03-2008, 07:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

LOL, I always feel a little something when I take a critters life . . . .just the fact that it's a wild thing that has met it's end is cause for reflection. Coyotes are interesting and some are even pretty . . . .but they are a pest and not original to our area. They are heck on small game, fawns, and I have even seen them take down a calf in a neighbors pasture.
That said, I shoot them with whatever I have in my hands, whatever angle of shot it is, does'nt matter to me if there is a bush in the way, and preferably it will go off somewhere else and die. I don't see where it deserves a funeral and I don't want it laying on my place. I don't relish the thought of it suffering, and I will go look to see if it's dead or if it needs to be finished off, but I would rather it suffer and die than to get away clean.
I feel all together different about a deer. I can see how if your passion is yote hunting that you could gain the same respect for them as I would game for the table. Here in the southeast tho I don't believe their hides are worth much and I view them pretty much as rats in the pantry.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:22 PM

ORIGINAL: jeepdude1987

Alright sammy you smarta$$. If you kill with no remorse or thought of the lose of life then you are a sociopath. Plain and clear. I would shoot a coyote with a .22, but I wouldn't shoot it at over 100yrds unless there was a damn good reason to do so and I wouldn't shoot through brush or anything else either. If we didn't shoot cause we were worried that we might make a poor shot as much as you are suggesting then we would never shoot cause what if the wind kicks up or the animals moves at the last second... ECT! I won't lose sleep if I ever injure and can't recover an animal for reasons beyond my control, but I will make damn sure I don't neglect what I can control, and if I make a mistake I will just do my best to learn from it and keep it from happening again. Just cause I don't respect animals as much or more than humans doesn't mean that I give them no value at all. If you didn't care then you wouldn't even bother hunting them unless you gain a sick sense of pleasure from having the power to take a life at your whim, and then still you would have to feel something about them cause they would be endeared to you by the fact that they have life and you can't kill somthing that doesn't live. If you truly believe what you claim then you are more messed up in the head than your average serial killer, and if you don't beleive me then you can go ask a shrink, but if you tell them that your talking about yourself don't expect them to let you leave.
I kill animals for the food. Do I enjoy it also. Yes very so much I do. If I didn't I wouldn't be hunting. Now do you enjoy the kill? Dang right you all do. Give your friends high 5s and congrats them and you for an excellent kill. Most people on here are liars or future PETA members. To say you don't enjoy the kill then what are you hunting for? Take a camera and pictures. Maybe that just isn't as fun as an actual kill. We are all the same. We kill animals because it is fun to do. That is something trophy hunters and meat hunters have in common.We enjoy the kill. My kill is more respect to the animal than trophy hunters though. I don't target a certain class buck. I won't loose sleep nor care if the aniaml runs off and die as you have stated also. But the rest of your post is blah blah blah. Same garbage of someone who sugar coats what I say bluntly. Same thing.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

welll if its brown its down in my book and why would you hunt if you didnt like harvesting deer? i dont need meat i hunt becasue its fun and i love it.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:31 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: Leafrivermac

LOL, I always feel a little something when I take a critters life . . . .just the fact that it's a wild thing that has met it's end is cause for reflection. Coyotes are interesting and some are even pretty . . . .but they are a pest and not original to our area. They are heck on small game, fawns, and I have even seen them take down a calf in a neighbors pasture.
That said, I shoot them with whatever I have in my hands, whatever angle of shot it is, does'nt matter to me if there is a bush in the way, and preferably it will go off somewhere else and die. I don't see where it deserves a funeral and I don't want it laying on my place. I don't relish the thought of it suffering, and I will go look to see if it's dead or if it needs to be finished off, but I would rather it suffer and die than to get away clean.
I feel all together different about a deer. I can see how if your passion is yote hunting that you could gain the same respect for them as I would game for the table. Here in the southeast tho I don't believe their hides are worth much and I view them pretty much as rats in the pantry.
Well, you are not hunting them you are exterminating them, and therefore you don't view them in the same matter, and I can understand doing that when they are causing issues with wildlife or livestock, but if you eliminate all predators you end up in more trouble than with too many predators. I really doubt that they are an invasive species considering they were the most wide spread wild canine in North America when man came over here, and though they have increased their range it is only due to taking the place of the Wolves that were here then.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:43 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: sammy_tat

ORIGINAL: jeepdude1987

Alright sammy you smarta$$. If you kill with no remorse or thought of the lose of life then you are a sociopath. Plain and clear. I would shoot a coyote with a .22, but I wouldn't shoot it at over 100yrds unless there was a damn good reason to do so and I wouldn't shoot through brush or anything else either. If we didn't shoot cause we were worried that we might make a poor shot as much as you are suggesting then we would never shoot cause what if the wind kicks up or the animals moves at the last second... ECT! I won't lose sleep if I ever injure and can't recover an animal for reasons beyond my control, but I will make damn sure I don't neglect what I can control, and if I make a mistake I will just do my best to learn from it and keep it from happening again. Just cause I don't respect animals as much or more than humans doesn't mean that I give them no value at all. If you didn't care then you wouldn't even bother hunting them unless you gain a sick sense of pleasure from having the power to take a life at your whim, and then still you would have to feel something about them cause they would be endeared to you by the fact that they have life and you can't kill somthing that doesn't live. If you truly believe what you claim then you are more messed up in the head than your average serial killer, and if you don't beleive me then you can go ask a shrink, but if you tell them that your talking about yourself don't expect them to let you leave.
I kill animals for the food. Do I enjoy it also. Yes very so much I do. If I didn't I wouldn't be hunting. Now do you enjoy the kill? Dang right you all do. Give your friends high 5s and congrats them and you for an excellent kill. Most people on here are liars or future PETA members. To say you don't enjoy the kill then what are you hunting for? Take a camera and pictures. Maybe that just isn't as fun as an actual kill. We are all the same. We kill animals because it is fun to do. That is something trophy hunters and meat hunters have in common.We enjoy the kill. My kill is more respect to the animal than trophy hunters though. I don't target a certain class buck. I won't loose sleep nor care if the aniaml runs off and die as you have stated also. But the rest of your post is blah blah blah. Same garbage of someone who sugar coats what I say bluntly. Same thing.
You weren't saying it was fun, but that you didn't care at all that they died. Yes, hunting is fun. Killing is part of hunting so therefore it is reasonably inferred that killing is part of the fun. So killing is fun. Big whoop just cause you have fun doing it doesn't mean you are incapable of caring about the fact that the creature you just killed died. I didn't say killing isn't fun, but was simply saying that I gave a care about the animal that I just killed.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:36 PM

I love some of these people on this forum. You are all so ethical and want quick clean kills and will do what ever to do so. I bet all you shoot at deer running full tilt broadside at 100yrds away and yotes also. You sure don't think about what will happen if you miss and wound that animal. You all do it if it was an open field. A big buck oh yea. You ethical hunters would be throwing lead at it,praying to hit. But it is wrong for me to say who cares if a yote runs off and dies because of a small caliber gun. But you won't think of the possible outcome when your excited about seeing deer and throwing lead. To funny. You prob didn't like it when poison was allowed to be used on wolves also when it was legal to do so. Just join PETA and get it over with.
You are more than entitled to your opinion, but you may want to rethink how you say certain things. You are stereotyping all hunters into one general group who will just sling lead and hope to hit a deer if it is running and at a bad angle. You assume any of uswould take a shot if we had a poor chance of taking the deer, or if we had only a marginal chance of taking the deer.

This is very much not the case. I, for one, do very much enjoy hunting. I enjoy all aspects of it. I enjoy the time preparing for it, I enjoy the hunt and silent time in the woods, I enjoy the kill of the game, and I very much enjoy the consumption of the game. Preparing for the hunt gives me a chance to fellowship with my friends and family about the hunt. It's a good time for socializing and story telling. I enjoy the silent time in the woods. It allows me to see the beauty in God's great creation, something I lose sight of when I am in the "real world." I do enjoy the kill, not because I have taken another creatures life, but because it gives me reminder of how people used to have to hunt to SURVIVE, not for sheer enjoyment. It helps keep me from taking things I have for granted. It lets me realize what a blessed life I live, by the grace of God.

Now, let me get to my point. As much as I enjoy all of this, I respect the animal enough to not take a shot that I don't think will effectively kill the animal immediately. It is not worth harming a deer (or anything else) just for a chance to kill it. Even for bucks with large racks. A large rack is just more keratin. It's just more calcium. Mice eat it. Essentially, it is mouse-food turned human-trophy. It's just a rack. Congratulations if you shoot a big one, whatever turns your crank floats your boat.

So, don't stereotype and ASSUME that EVERYONE does anything. You fight a losing battle when you try to do that.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well, you are not hunting them you are exterminating them, and therefore you don't view them in the same matter, and I can understand doing that when they are causing issues with wildlife or livestock, but if you eliminate all predators you end up in more trouble than with too many predators. I really doubt that they are an invasive species considering they were the most wide spread wild canine in North America when man came over here, and though they have increased their range it is only due to taking the place of the Wolves that were here then.
I understand that a certain amount of predation is healthy. However, that has never been a problem here as our only large game is deer and they are sufficiently preyed on by man to control the numbers. Bobcat and fox are native here and help to control smaller game I would imagine. Coyote were non-existant in these parts until the last 20 yrs or so. Even the armadillo were'nt here 50 yrs ago.
Never heard of wolves being here except about 25 yrs ago a guy near here killed a gyp and her pups at a den near his home. I expect they originated from introduction . . .but they apparently never caught on.
It's starting to look like we may one day have black bear as there have been some confirmed kills near here. And I have seen one myself, as well as a cougar. I expect with loss of habitat nationwide as well as folk coming into possession of cats, wolves, exotic deer, and whatnot . . .there's no telling whats out there. . . .and thats kinda cool but I would'nt want to be infested with predators.
All that said, I would'nt want to hunt with someone whos sole purpose for hunting is to act out some sort of blood lust. I enjoy taking a deer and the meat is a blessing. Getting in range of the animal and making a clean kill is a thing that gives me a rush but a part of me respects that life. Coyote, is pretty wary around here and I know that they are here to stay , , ,it's cool to see them and even cooler to thin them out. It's not so much that I enjoy killing them as it is that I don't want to feed them my fawns and rabbit's.lol

Quick Reply: coyotes with .22?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.