HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   Rabbit's (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/266567-rabbits.html)

nap 10-05-2008 05:28 PM

Rabbit's

How many of you guys here hunt rabbit's. If you do how do you hunt them? I just sit out by a field and wait.

#40Fan 10-05-2008 06:17 PM

RE: Rabbit's

I can't say that you can call what I do hunting, but here is how it goes.

A couple cases of beer. Few good friends. Shotguns and 22 long rifles. A Ford Bronco with out the top on and a spot light. We cruise through private property and pick them off as we find them. Skin them up and stick them in the freezer. Have a get together either the next night or weekend and have some rabbit. Don't do it that often, but that is how we do it.

Chris_H 10-05-2008 07:14 PM

Well how #40fan does it is how old guys like my dad and grandpa would do it:D. What we used to do was we had about 6-7 head of beagles. I'm not goin to get into how to train the dogs and how to tell when they're trailin or runnin but a share a little. First off the dogs can smell way better when the ground is wet, so if theres a frost in the morning like most of the time, the dogs will be a little slow until the sun melts it. When they pick up on a rabbit, they trail it until they jump it from where ever its laying, and they then run the rabbit (actually chasing it). Now its a matter of time.If you want to cut the rabbit off, you'd better be quick because most of the time the rabbit will be way in front of the dogs. If you miss cutting the rabbit off, or if you just shot and missed the rabbit, wait in that general area. A rabbit will ALWAYS make a complete circle and come back to where it was jumped, unless the dogs lose the rabbit.

arrow2512 10-05-2008 07:18 PM

Most hunters use beagles to hunt rabbits.Three of us go out one guy on each side of the dich one guy walks down the middle we all take turns being the middle man.

skybuster20ga 10-05-2008 07:37 PM

we run beageles and black and tans. lotsa fun. 20 ga #5 mod choke and have a blast

#40Fan 10-05-2008 08:18 PM

ORIGINAL: Chris_H

Well how #40fan does it is how old guys like my dad and grandpa would do it:D.

Calling me old? Ok, maybe I am getting up there, but not even 30 yet.

Chris_H 10-05-2008 08:31 PM

ORIGINAL: #40Fan

ORIGINAL: Chris_H

Well how #40fan does it is how old guys like my dad and grandpa would do it:D.

Calling me old? Ok, maybe I am getting up there, but not even 30 yet.
I'm just messin with ya ;) I know people my age that do the same thing, including myself once or twice.

#40Fan 10-05-2008 08:46 PM

:D

I knew you were. Just having a little fun tonight.

DTC 10-05-2008 09:42 PM

A pack of beagles and a good automatic 22 rifle with lots of ammunition. We have a couple rules, dogs must run the rabbit 1 circle before you shoot and rabbit has to be moving, we don't shoot sitting rabbits.

skybuster20ga 10-06-2008 12:56 PM

ORIGINAL: DTC

A pack of beagles and a good automatic 22 rifle with lots of ammunition. We have a couple rules, dogs must run the rabbit 1 circle before you shoot and rabbit has to be moving, we don't shoot sitting rabbits.
then either you have the fastest dogs in the world or you dont get much snow

MdDave 10-06-2008 05:56 PM

well i dont have the luxury of havin a dog so we jus walk around kickin brush an walkin through fields with high grass an kick them up an shoot shoot shoot till they stop running

WesternMdHardwoods 10-06-2008 07:08 PM

ORIGINAL: MdDave

well i dont have the luxury of havin a dog so we jus walk around kickin brush an walkin through fields with high grass an kick them up an shoot shoot shoot till they stop running
Haha and its sooo much fun:D!! I cant wait!!!

SlyInTheWoods 10-08-2008 09:16 AM

well i cant say that I really go out special for rabbits, but my dog, has a habbit of kicking them up every now and then while we're squirrel hunting, usually shoot them with my .22

MTairman 10-10-2008 03:33 PM

my buddy wants to go after rabbits with a 12 gauge. is that a little overkill?

skybuster20ga 10-10-2008 06:38 PM

nah. tell him to go for it. open his choke up and shoot some light loads. 1 0z or so of some #5 and that will be just right for him. i hunt w/ my 20 w/ 1 oz of #5and the same choke.............to me thats matching medicine aint it!

gregrn43 10-10-2008 10:47 PM

With beagles for sure

Hick442 10-16-2008 08:13 PM

Them rabbits in sorthern ohio are pretty tough. We use 12 gauge #7 high brass and roll them sometimes and they keep going for a while. My cousin has pretty much profected the art of running beagals and shooting rabbits. Now he uses a 22 pistol with a reddot scope and i saw him hit a running one once.

huntnfishak 10-19-2008 09:13 AM

Me and my wife go riding around,we only have 50 miles of road here and the 17 HMR and 22 Magnum do the job very well...

Appalachian American 10-20-2008 06:34 AM

have any of yall heard or maybe even done that thing when youre skinnin a rabbit where you sling all its guts out its hind end? im real curious about that and id like to try it