Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Rabbit's

Old 10-05-2008, 05:28 PM
nap

Default Rabbit's

How many of you guys here hunt rabbit's. If you do how do you hunt them? I just sit out by a field and wait.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:17 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Rabbit's

I can't say that you can call what I do hunting, but here is how it goes.

A couple cases of beer. Few good friends. Shotguns and 22 long rifles. A Ford Bronco with out the top on and a spot light. We cruise through private property and pick them off as we find them. Skin them up and stick them in the freezer. Have a get together either the next night or weekend and have some rabbit. Don't do it that often, but that is how we do it.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well how #40fan does it is how old guys like my dad and grandpa would do it. What we used to do was we had about 6-7 head of beagles. I'm not goin to get into how to train the dogs and how to tell when they're trailin or runnin but a share a little. First off the dogs can smell way better when the ground is wet, so if theres a frost in the morning like most of the time, the dogs will be a little slow until the sun melts it. When they pick up on a rabbit, they trail it until they jump it from where ever its laying, and they then run the rabbit (actually chasing it). Now its a matter of time.If you want to cut the rabbit off, you'd better be quick because most of the time the rabbit will be way in front of the dogs. If you miss cutting the rabbit off, or if you just shot and missed the rabbit, wait in that general area. A rabbit will ALWAYS make a complete circle and come back to where it was jumped, unless the dogs lose the rabbit.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:18 PM
Typical Buck

Most hunters use beagles to hunt rabbits.Three of us go out one guy on each side of the dich one guy walks down the middle we all take turns being the middle man.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

we run beageles and black and tans. lotsa fun. 20 ga #5 mod choke and have a blast
Old 10-05-2008, 08:18 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Chris_H

Well how #40fan does it is how old guys like my dad and grandpa would do it.

Calling me old? Ok, maybe I am getting up there, but not even 30 yet.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: #40Fan

ORIGINAL: Chris_H

Well how #40fan does it is how old guys like my dad and grandpa would do it.

Calling me old? Ok, maybe I am getting up there, but not even 30 yet.
I'm just messin with ya I know people my age that do the same thing, including myself once or twice.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:46 PM
Typical Buck

I knew you were. Just having a little fun tonight.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:42 PM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

A pack of beagles and a good automatic 22 rifle with lots of ammunition. We have a couple rules, dogs must run the rabbit 1 circle before you shoot and rabbit has to be moving, we don't shoot sitting rabbits.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DTC

A pack of beagles and a good automatic 22 rifle with lots of ammunition. We have a couple rules, dogs must run the rabbit 1 circle before you shoot and rabbit has to be moving, we don't shoot sitting rabbits.
then either you have the fastest dogs in the world or you dont get much snow

Quick Reply: Rabbit's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.