Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

skunk hunting

Old 09-07-2008, 10:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default skunk hunting

We have an open season for them here in NC.Now normaly i wouldnt care about hunting them but...
In the last 3 days we've had skunk stink[:'(]in the air 2 -3 times a night.[:'(]I was wondering if anyione knew what a good bait for them would be? Ifigure ill just set up in the back yard and wait for them and get them with the 22lr over a bait . But dont know what they are attracted to open to any and all sugestions .

ty in advance.

-mudchicken

Old 09-08-2008, 10:22 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: skunk hunting

Cat food!
Old 09-12-2008, 01:25 PM
Fork Horn

i second that. i think they are actually in the cat family. sardines or anything like that will work also.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:54 PM

Trap them in box traps and put a cover over them and drowned them. No stinky smell.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:10 PM

what sammy said!
Old 09-20-2008, 09:19 AM
Typical Buck

I just shot two in my back yard. They got underneith my shed, about a week ago, I think. I took the bigger one, and the other just sat there looking, so I loaded another pellet, and shot that one to. I know at least one let loose couse it stinks like @@#$ out side.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:10 PM

i have traped a few when i was a kid. They will eat just about anything dead. use to put out a road kill animal and suround it with dirt hole sets. worked like a charm. sardines have worked well for me also

Old 09-25-2008, 11:59 AM
Spike

I killed a skunk acouple years ago during fur-bearing season that was foraging for berries and grubbs. I shot it in the backofhead at 15 yards with my bolt action Marlin 881 .22lr. I had every intention of having it mounted because they make beautiful mounts. If you shoot them just right at the base of the skull and back of the neck they will not spray, or you can trap them like others have stated (however - be mindful of your states trapping regulations). Here in GA we can kill skunks during small game season with a firearm, but when it comes to trapping them we have to wait until fur-bearing season which is December 1. Be careful of rabies and use gloveswhen handling.Most of our skunks here where I live are smaller bodied, but still pretty on a mount (in my opinion.)

Old 09-25-2008, 01:18 PM
Fork Horn

ty all for your advise never got the skunks ....a car did 3 dead in 2 days ty all again gl this season

Old 09-25-2008, 03:51 PM
Spike

Well at least your problem is taken care of - give skunk hunting a try another time.Its not too bad, and there are some beauties out there to be harvested...

Quick Reply: skunk hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.