Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

How you get rid of the raccons

Old 09-05-2008, 12:01 AM

Default How you get rid of the raccons

I want to get rid of all the coons around here, I have been shooting all yellow eyes at night. Killed lots of stuff. still they everyweer?
Old 09-05-2008, 09:20 AM
8mm
Typical Buck

Default RE: How you get rid of the raccons

keep on shooting an get ur self a few traps
Old 09-05-2008, 09:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Why don't you wait another two months, then you can sell their fur.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Has anyone here used the Havahart traps?

I too am having a serious problem in dealing with a bunch of coons. They not only eat all of the corn, but tear up our feeders. [:@]
Old 09-05-2008, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: bigjindaclub

I want to get rid of all the coons around here, I have been shooting all yellow eyes at night. Killed lots of stuff. still they everyweer?
Join the 08-09 Small Game Contest.
When coon season opens .
Post some pictures.

If you don't want to do that.
I was told by a farmer one time.
That if you shoot a coon and just leave it where you shot it.
The other coons will not came around it.
I don't know if it works or not.
Its what I was told.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:23 PM
Fork Horn

I bet there are a bunch of coonhunters in your area who would love to help you out.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:30 PM

I personally prefer SafeGuard brand traps. I have used them for over a decade and they keep on going. I have yet to have one damaged by a captured animal, can not say that for some of the other well known brands.

You are most likely dealing with females and their pups. It is that time of year when momma teaches the kids how to be raccoons.

Not sure what the situation is but generally this time of year I will set several traps, 4 - 5 or more, in the general area of the damage.

One trick is to set the traps so they all are touching. This way when the family starts getting caught they will walk around the cages until another open door is found. I have done this and caught a raccoon or two in every cage, cleaning out an area in one night. Make sure the cages are staked to the ground so they do not move when an animal enters.

I prefer and make my own baits. I use fruit based and scented baits so that I do not catch cats or other unwanted nocturnal visitors, Skunks. Fish bait attract cats and other non-target catches. Plus in the hot weather, the fish will dry out becoming useless. Peanut butter will catch squirrels in the daytime creating more work for you.

Try apple halves behind the pan and trail strawberry puree (daiquiri mix)from the apple, through the cage and out the door about 2 - 3 feet. Mashed bananas mixed with some corn syrup can be used as a trailing scent. Blackstrap molasses can be trailed or mixed with whole kernel field corn and allowed to ferment for a few days.

Good Luck!

Old 09-06-2008, 03:13 PM

a spotlight and a .22 or .17 hmr is the way i hav always done it n if u dnt feel like like stayin up all night spotlighting im 100 percent sure a couple of high school kids will do it for u for freei used to do it for my friends uncle n all i charged him was a case of beer
Old 09-06-2008, 07:41 PM
Fork Horn

Okay i've heard it said coke and flybait does the trick... like really well, of course that would probably be illegal, but then again in alot of places, it is illegal to shoot after sundown as well... when in doubtcheckit out... find out if you coulddo it that way, because it does really work

Old 09-07-2008, 11:24 AM
Fork Horn

impossible to get rid of them all, but just keep with it and you'll put a dent in the population, get a couple of dogs, not coon dogs, just dogs that like to run around and chase stuff all night, the dogs will act as a
"scare-coon."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.