Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Predator & Small Game Contest?

Old 08-18-2008, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Predator & Small Game Contest?

I appreciate the confidence Jrb, but melsheeba emailed me and I gave the "go ahead" to her. If the contest runs into a snag, we can all get it worked out, but I pretty much agree to keep it simple like it was last year, and have the one thread with all the scoring and pics. on it. Of course, we're already being told that a certain 3 of "can't" be on the same team, BUT if the teams are drawn randomly then it certainly is a possiblity, right melsheeba???? We just got lucky last year that the teams ended up like they were, and who knows, this year, there certainly could be some "new players" that could have a larger impact than one of else that was in it last year.
We do need to keep the "small game" and "predator" contests seperate, that is for sure.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:52 PM
Fork Horn

The three of you could be team captains and the rest of the people put in random. So how about we get the sign up started then Howler and put down all you scoring and rules. Then nothing is changed except didn't some want raccons on here?
Old 08-18-2008, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, last year we ended up with 10 4 person teams, and I'd guess that we'll end up with more than 40 people this year, we did have a few late people show up that wanted on teams, but they missed our sign up cut off date. We could end up with 60 people this year, maybe? let's see how many people sign up, but I'm sure that we'll need more than 3 teams. Jrbhunter, #40fan, and myself will have our names in the mix, with random draws, and let the chips fall how ever they fall.
You can look up last years rules and points on the old thread. They worked fine last year, point system worked fine last year, but yes, I think we need to concider allowing raccoon, because they are a predator and they can be called. Maybe make them worth 5 or 10 points. Just throwing out ideas, maybe know else wants to allow raccoons!! I know I probably won't call and kill any, maybe one or two in KS., but allowing them won't help me enough to worry about, but there may be a few guys that don't hardly have any coyotes to call, but may have a good population of raccoon and would participate if we allow coon to be on the list.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:14 AM
Fork Horn

I don't have a problem with Melsheeba taking over so long as she leaves the rules and scoring the same- and shows up to tally our scores every day or two.

If we're going to include coons I'd say its fair for 10 coonsto equal one coyote - so basically 5 points for a coon and 50 for a coyote? I agree on random team drawings as well.

My last request of those organizing this contest is to make things as clear as possible even if it takes a few more minutes up-front. Maybe use BOLD font to type the scores, and ITALICS to list the team names? Maybe even keep the top scoring teams on top of the list? I'm not trying to make this whole thing complicated.... but I don't think it'd be too tough to make things really clear for those of us who visit the scoring thread on a daily basis!