HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   what do you do with coyotes? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/246781-what-do-you-do-coyotes.html)

NYhunterAF 05-20-2008 11:44 PM

what do you do with coyotes?

i would like to do some coyote hunting, but what do most people do with them if they get one? i've never heard of anyone eating them...

Jim_IV 05-21-2008 06:14 AM

RE: what do you do with coyotes?

Throw them in a pasture and let the buzzards have them

mauser06 05-21-2008 01:09 PM

when i kill one i'll do like i do with coon and fox...skin em and leave the carcass in the woods...take the pelt home to sale or tan.

never skinned fox or yotes in the woods, but i do my coon right in the woods while the dog chases another. no reason i couldnt do the yotes and fox in the woods though. just only ever killed one fox and brought it home before skinning. ive carried a couple big coon out of the woods....after that i caught on and started doing them in the woods...nothing to dispose of at home either. and the critters get to benefit off of the carcass...

Howler 05-21-2008 05:46 PM

Sell the pelts. You can either sell them in the round or skin them and prep the pelt to sell which is worth more, but takes more time.

ilyotehunter 05-27-2008 05:37 PM

sell them to a fur buyer or hang them on the wall they look nice

falcon 05-27-2008 07:16 PM

We hang them on the fence.

4RCH4NG3L 05-28-2008 09:52 PM

he he he.........I posted this same question on another site recently after watching a Coyote segment on Versus and as I don't care what passes for a delicacy in China, I don't eat dog but it sure looks like fun.
The general consensus I got was shoot em and leave em. You use the first kill to bait the others in and if you got a buyer nearby for the skins or the pelts, then the shipping cost won't be too badbut most don't bother as a lot of em are too mangy to sell unles you skin em.
and here's a tip,farmers hate em and some will even pay you to shoot em.;)

millagerobert 06-02-2008 11:46 AM

They taste like chicken. Best bet is to skin the ones with a decent coat an sell the pelt. They are usually only worth anything with a decent winter coat. I have thought about cooking some up, maybe in the dutch oven during hunting camp and trying to pass it off as something else to the guys in camp. This could be a bad idea, as I may finish a long hike to find my ride not there, or my boots full of snow in the morning.