Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Trapping..

Old 05-07-2008, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Trapping..

whats the best tips you can give??

also whats the price for pelts where you at??
Old 05-08-2008, 12:01 AM

Default RE: Trapping..

Research, Research, Research. Get a subscription to the magazine Fur-Fish-Game, it has very good articles in it that will help you, it also gives you fur prices every month. I just started trapping last year and had a pretty good success. I can honestly say that the magazine helped me in some areas.Also, there are several videos and books that you can get on trapping that show you how to make a set. Get good quality traps, the best you can afford, and get them prepped properly. You will also need some equipment to have with you on the trap line.It gets expensive to startout, but its worth it in the end.

If you have a high population of racoons, I suggest you start by trapping them. Their tracks are easily recognizable in the mud and they are pretty easy to catchfor a beginner. I like to find a trail where theyare coming out of the waterandset my trap at the waters edge.

Also, dont get discouraged with it. I checked my traps for a solid week and kept finding that the animals had pulled out of the trap. It was frustrating, but onceI learned from my mistakes and started adjusting my sets, I started catching them. I can honestly say that nothing is better than walking upon a set and seeing an animal in the trap.

As far as prices go, I averaged $10.00 per green pelt last year but my buyer bought it by the length not quailty. I am in Southeast Missouri almost directly westof you so our fur quality and price may be pretty similar.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me andI will help however I can. I can give more detailsto you if Im asked a specific questions. There is probably some old timers in your area that used to trap. If so, pick their brains as much as possible. Good luck and have fun!