Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

.22 Magnum VS .17 HMR

Old 03-29-2008, 08:25 PM

Default .22 Magnum VS .17 HMR

Now before everyone gets into a fight about how these two cartridges are under powered for coyotes, let me just say that the only reason I am posting this is because Since I live in nc. I dont have 300 yard open fields to shoot coyotes on. Most of my shot are limited from 50-75yards max.
So, that aside which rifle caliber would be best for shots on coyotesfrom 50-75yards or less. What would be the best ammo for those shots? I would also like to hear any stories you guys have about hunting coyotes with eitheir gun,Thanks,nc.hunter
[/align]
[/align]
Old 03-30-2008, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: .22 Magnum VS .17 HMR

.22 mag. for the simple reason that it will deliver more KE than the 17hmr can. I'd go with a 45 gr jhp, as long as it was accurate and you can make the shot. Be prepared to do some tracking, and I hope you have snow because any runners, and you will have runners, won't be leaving enough blood to follow without snow on the ground.
I've got a friend that used to use a 22 mag., and he shared plenty of storys with me, and enough of the storys included lost animals. SO I'll I'm going to say is, good luck!
Old 03-30-2008, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

LOL If he had that many bad stories with the 22 mag I think Id use the 17...
Old 03-30-2008, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why???? Only to add more bad storys?? One doesn't have to look very far to find plenty of bad storys on the internet involving the hmr! Which would be expected since it delivers less KE on target.
Sure, there's plenty of success storys with both calibers. BUT when the number of coyotes that you take gets over one, two or three a year, the odds quickly begin to lean to lost critters.
Make a marginal shot with either cal. and you'll loose that coyote.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:34 PM

Old 03-30-2008, 04:32 PM
Fork Horn

get a 223 the ammo is almost as cheap as a 22 mag or 17. plus you can reload them. it will put them down plenty fine. or maybe try a 22 hornet.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

on coyotes, It would be better to use .22wmr, but over all I would rather have a .17hmr, i think it is more accurate, and like it for other small game, it is better overall IMO. Im sure everybody is going to freak out on this thread.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Howler

.22 mag. for the simple reason that it will deliver more KE than the 17hmr can. I'd go with a 45 gr jhp, as long as it was accurate and you can make the shot. Be prepared to do some tracking, and I hope you have snow because any runners, and you will have runners, won't be leaving enough blood to follow without snow on the ground.
I've got a friend that used to use a 22 mag., and he shared plenty of storys with me, and enough of the storys included lost animals. SO I'll I'm going to say is, good luck!
I looked on hornady's website and the .17hmr 17gr. has a higher KE than the .22wmr 30gr.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, and did I suggest using the 30 gr. bullet in the 22wm? I didn't think so![8D]
Old 03-31-2008, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Howler

Why???? Only to add more bad storys?? One doesn't have to look very far to find plenty of bad storys on the internet involving the hmr! Which would be expected since it delivers less KE on target.
Sure, there's plenty of success storys with both calibers. BUT when the number of coyotes that you take gets over one, two or three a year, the odds quickly begin to lean to lost critters.
Make a marginal shot with either cal. and you'll loose that coyote.

Do you actually own a 17? Have you shot a coyote with one? have you even shot a 17? I do, I have, and I do very frequently...

If your answer is no to any of the above questions and you are stricly going on hearsay than why even bother to respond? Sounds like just more "stories" to me....

50-75 yards a 17 will work just fine. We arent shooting elk here. Both cartidges will work fine..I just prefer the 17 because of the eyeball gouging accuracy. I used the 17 gr. Head shots...no runners here.

Quick Reply: .22 Magnum VS .17 HMR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.