Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

.22 Magnum VS .17 HMR

Old 04-01-2008, 11:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: .22 Magnum VS .17 HMR

I will admit I fell for the 17HMR hype when they first came out. I owned three different ones. Two H&R's and one CZ. I got rid of all 3 of them. I have not shot any coyotes with them, but I have shot a lot of ground hog's with them. Just too many crawl off's with the 17 versus the 22 magnum at distances under 100 yards.

I have no idea how anyone can say the 17 is "more accurate" than the 22 magnum. I have an Anschutz and a Kimber 22 magnum. I have not seen any 17's that wil out shoot these rifles. Accuracy is more inherent to the rifle, not the cartridge.

And more to the point-you said 50-75 yards. Even if the 17 did shoot a 1/4 inch tighter group-what would that have to do with a hunting situation at 75 yards?? And how can anyone think a lighter bullet at 75 yards would effectively kill as well as a larger bullet at the same range?? That just does not make sense.

I realize a lot of hunter's have had some good success with the 17. But I do not think a lot of these guy's(notice I did not say all) have experience with the 22 magnum.

Next difference is the difference in the price of ammo. But we do not want to go there. I would not mind paying the premium price for 17 ammo if the 17 was better, but it is not. Tom.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think that an Anshutz in .17 would outshoot a .22 mag of the same make. I certainly know that my Marlin .17 will shoot circles around my Dad's old .22 magnum. And at 50 yards, a a well hit coyote is gonna go down whether it is a .17 or a .22 long rifle. Dunno if the extra 30 pounds of FE really matters a whole lot if you drill them between the eyes or thru the heart. If you dont hit them well, then you are gonna have to do some tracking whether you pop them with a .22 mag, .17 or 22-250. But overall, i think that it is a matter of using the weapon that you feel comfortable and confident with.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

As far as accuracy in like models give me the 17 anyday. You may think the 17 is hype but theres probably a half million shooters or more who disagree with you...
Old 04-02-2008, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

[quote][And at 50 yards, a a well hit coyote is gonna go down whether it is a .17 or a .22 long rifle. /quote] One thing I learned long ago when talking about hunting coyotes, is to be very careful with "absolute" comments, such as this one. I have to say this is bull pucky. A shot in the brain is one absolute that will drop a coyote, but the brain is the size of an egg. Most guys can shoot an egg sized group all day at 50 yards from a bench, but put a little adrenaline in their vanes and a coyote starrin' 'em down and that egg sized group will grow to the size of a watermelon. That's why I will never recommend anyone to aim for the "head', because the actual target is the size of an egg. The boiler room is a much higher percentage shot, period!
And I've seen many a coyote run a dang long ways, even with a heart shot! Hit some bone on the way to the heart, it'll drop 'em, but a broadside shot to the heart, you're going to have a runner, usually!
Old 04-02-2008, 04:13 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Doe Dumper

As far as accuracy in like models give me the 17 anyday. You may think the 17 is hype but theres probably a half million shooters or more who disagree with you...

I don"t think accuracy is the issue here doe dumper, I don"t have a .17 ,but I have shot them. They are on a whole probebly more accurate than a mag., and for squirls, farrol cats,and a crow that won"t shut up in the morning, there great, but not the best choice for a coyote. Can a guy kill a dog with one? sure! ,but you"ll lose a lot more dogs with the .17
Old 04-03-2008, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was reading on a website about the .17HMR, and it said that the cartridge was not intended to be used on coyotes.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Neither are the .22long rifle or .22 magnum, but.....
Old 04-04-2008, 01:31 PM
Fork Horn

I don't own a 17, but I do own a 22mag and as far as accuracy goes the 17 can't be much better. At least not enough to make a difference. I like to hunt yotes with a barret 50cal. lmao
Old 04-07-2008, 07:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Under 100 yards you don't get much difference. But over 100 yards the .17 gains advantage. Some of the comaprison that i have seen from experts analyzing the two calibers essentially say that the .17 gives you at least 25 to 30 more yards of accuracy. I certainly know that i have killed crows at over 200 yards with my .17and would not have even bothered to try the shot with a .22 mag.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Come on guys,the 22wmr is the parent case for the 17..Its kinda like a 30/06 and a .270,I wouldnt say one is more accurate then the other.It depends on the shooter and the rifles ability.
I personally will pick the .22wmr but that is my choice,and you have yours.I dont think either was ment for long range(meaning 200 yards for a rimfire).Under a 100 yards I have killed several yotes with my .22wmr,I still havent seen one with a .17 that killed them on the spot.Not that they wont I just havent seen it.

Quick Reply: .22 Magnum VS .17 HMR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.