Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

25 wssm for coyotes

Old 03-30-2008, 04:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 25 wssm for coyotes

shoot it anywhere from the 3rd rib from the back (approx) forward
Old 03-30-2008, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

What the hell are you going off on me for.I know a prime fur and I never said the time of year the were prime. (which I happen to be very aware of)I have probablly handled as many furs as you ever will.And I sure dont need you to tell me about a prime fur.That may be the main stay of the fur buisness but I said it is the short dyed hair that you speak of and is not even known as coyote.Hell for that matter any fur can and is used for the run of the mill fur products.If you want to have a coyote coat Please my friend dont shoot the back it will make it much harder to make what you want.
Dont pay any attention to what he is saying I think he is trying to argue with me and he is dead wrong!!!!
Old 03-30-2008, 09:23 PM
Fork Horn

More wonderful advice. Who said anything about a fur coat? That's coming out of left field- the kid asked where he should shoot them as if the 25WSSM isn't going to kill a coyote with marginal shot placement. Head, neck, shoulder, chest, guts, ass... you name it... more than likely the 25 will produce a dead coyote.

I have not posted one single innaccuracy, unlike your brilliant concepts of "Stars" and "Primeness" and "Valuable Manfur". Shooting a coyote in the top of the shoulders is not the best approach with any round, for any reason- the least of which is a "Valuable Diamond" in the fur markings.

You said:
ORIGINAL: DANTHEHUNTER
If you are keeping the hides try to stay away from the star on there back.That is the piece of fur most fur companies want.

I said: BS It's not a star. It's a diamond. Many coyotes don't even have it- since it's just a marking in the pelt.

You said:
usally the STAR represents a prime animal to most fur buyers I know.
I said: BS Again, I've never seen the Star of David tatood on a coyotes back. But the Diamond is no indication of primeness to any legitimate (or sober) fur buyer in the United States. Many coyotes don't even have the diamond- and if they do... they wear it alllllllll year long weather their fur is prime or not.

You said:
If you want to have a coyote coat Please my friend dont shoot the back it will make it much harder to make what you want.
I say:Make up your mind! First you advised the kid about fur companies- then once disproven you backed down to advice on some backwoodsfur buyer. Now you've stepped all the way back to a FUR COAT you had made? Who mentioned having a fur coat made?

You said:
Dont pay any attention to what he is saying I think he is trying to argue with me and he is dead wrong!!!!

I say: Show me where I'm wrong.Simple as that. I don't want to argue with you or anyone else, but sometimes a little "BS METER" is a nice addition to these discussions. There are a lot of people misleading these young guys on the internet anymore- it's refreshing to see a reality check thrown into the mix occasionally.

PS: Here's a coyote that wore a very prominant DIAMOND at the top of his shoulders. Probably a 1 in 50 coyote around here.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry you have terrible coyotes where you live! We dont! And all of my fur buyers all though back woods never once checked to see if there belly hair was ok. That is just dumb! And my refernce to a coat was that if a real fur coat was being made it sure as hell isnt from there belly fur.You call it a diamond I call it a star big deal.If I am going to shoot a coyote I dont try to hit high in the back,plain and simple.
No all coyotes dont have the same markings,that is true but they all are used for 1 thing.Telling some one that the belly hair is the main stay of of the fur buisness is dumb.I know that it represents more fur cause it is shaved and dyed to do what ever with. It is the cheaper fur products.
And I am not misleading anyone! Maybe the BS meter is more in your favor,The 25wssm hitting a yote high in the back will destroy a large chunk of back fur,I think telling these guys to try and avoid it is good advise.If ya want to argue I dont have a problem with that.I have 30 years ofTRAPPING /HUNTING behind me and I am not totally out of the loop when it comes to handling fur.Go ahead and fire away you dont bother me.Maybe it would be good avise for us to help these guys instead of poncing on every thing someone says.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Shooting a 25WSSM I'd personally stay well away from the shoulder blades, as it will blow a helluva hole thru the opposite side. I'd go for a lung shot, tucked right behind the shoulder blades, if you are planning on selling the fur.

A head on chest shot would probably be my 2nd choice. I always avoid head shots on coyotes.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:54 PM
Fork Horn

Maybe we should slow down a little Dan.

You said:
Sorry you have terrible coyotes where you live! We dont!
Funny you mention that. My coyotes simply don’t have a prominent diamond on their shoulders- and you consider them terrible? You truly believe one particular pelt marking draws value in the fur market, over another, and you believe this is somehow reflected in the BACK? You are either entirely clueless, or your blushing as you lie.

I have a couple dozen hunting buddies from Missouri, guys that account for hundreds of coyotes each season, and the common theme of a Missouri coyote today seems to be MANGE RIDDEN rather than DIAMOND MARKED.

Acoyote trapped in Missouri-Talk about worthless.

You said:
Telling some one that the belly hair is the main stay of of the fur buisness is dumb.I know that it represents more fur cause it is shaved and dyed to do what ever with. It is the cheaper fur products.
So where can I find these “coyote backs” being used? How many of us own a fur coat made of guard hairs…. How many of us have seen a true coyote fur coat this winter?

It is a common misconception, by the general public and sportsmen who don’t handle fur, that trapped animals become fur coats. That is simply not true: the fur industry does not revolve around that handful of fancy coats you see on the Red Carpet in Hollywood. It’s more closely revolving around trimmings, leather & died fur byproducts. You keep throwing an extremely small percentage of the industry (fur coats) up as if it’s reflective of every coyote we skin- and I’m dumb? Interesting.

You said:
The 25wssm hitting a yote high in the back will destroy a large chunk of back fur,I think telling these guys to try and avoid it is good advise.
Again, you’re speaking with little experience in this topic and making things up as you go. The 25WSSM does not splash on a coyote as many of the smaller centerfires do. I’ve killed over 50 predators with the 25WSSM this winter and the vast majority had a 25cal hole in- and a 1/2”-1” exit. This includes all angles, ranges and sizes of animals. I’ve killed gray foxes at 16 feet and coyotes at 400 yards with the 25WSSM- splashing is non-existant. Rupturing can occur on light skinned animals at close range, but the fur is still there so a needle and thread will clean it up just fine.

Since we’re on the topic, let’s go ahead and examine some coyotes taken with the 25WSSM.

Here’s a coyote taken at roughly 130 yards, impact was a tad high… centered on the ball & socket joints in the shoulders. Entry was 25Cal, exit was 1.5 inch. Shoulders were crumbled- neck was broken.

Gray Fox harvested at 20/25 feet.
Entry, 25 caliber. Exit, .5 inch with 2" rupture lines.
(The blood and guts on the bedliner are from a coyote in the truck... hit 4 times at 20 yards- disgusting mess)

A group of clean kills with the 25: no nasty splashwounds and no exits over 1 inch here. All 100-350 yard kills with 90 grainers BT's.

Shot placement is obvious on this one, 225 yards running:

One more "high" hit... just below the backbone. 125 yards.
Entry 25Cal, Exit .5 inch with no tearing.

Old 03-31-2008, 03:54 PM
Typical Buck

Oh man , that last one in the snow, thats a pretty dog. Nice red one, I"ve gotten a few like that in Illinois. Nise part on that other one, must of been a horrible head acke.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:51 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah that one sure was a pretty one. Sold him to a taxidermist for $100! Sold a few others to taxidermist this year... the one on the left in this picture also brought $100. Small female, very yellow in color with beautiful facial markings.

My only piece of taxidermy from this year will be this big chunky red fox: he was literally chewing on my caller!

PS: All animals pictured here were taken with the 25WSSM. None had diamonds, stars or heart shaped markings on their fur.

Heck this one was even BLUE- but no odd shapes?!

Old 03-31-2008, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, I think im going to have to take sides with JRB. Dan, can you prove your point with pictures, I am finding this very interesting!
Old 03-31-2008, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

JRB - Thats pretty impressive that the 25WSSM doesn't do more damage than that. I was guessing it was going to tear 'em up pretty bad. Guess I'll hafta get a few loads worked up for song dongs for next season!

Quick Reply: 25 wssm for coyotes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.