Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 Anybody ever heard a fox make vocalizations ? >

Anybody ever heard a fox make vocalizations ?

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Anybody ever heard a fox make vocalizations ?

Old 02-15-2003, 08:33 PM

Default Anybody ever heard a fox make vocalizations ?

I was out earlier tonight and was at about my 5th set up. I was using grey fox pup distress sounds. After about 10 min I turned the E-caller off and as soon as I did I heard a coarse, raspy barking noise to my left about 50 yrds. I looked with my light but my view was obscured by some brush. I turned the caller back on, and the noise continued, moving around my set up, staying in the brush, but never coming in. I heard it probably 20-25 times. I had never heard this noise before. Judging from the sound, it never came down wind of me, the sound just got more distant, leaving in the same direction from which it started. When I got up and checked, there were fox tracks that stayed just out of view, in the brush, about 180 degrees around my set up. I kinda think it was a grey. Anybody have any input?
Old 02-15-2003, 10:42 PM

Default RE: Anybody ever heard a fox make vocalizations ?

Yep, I' ve had fox and coyotes do that before. Next time it happens switch call sounds and ya might get him to show.
Old 02-16-2003, 04:55 AM
Typical Buck

if it was a raspy sounding bark then yes it was a gray.a reds barks is real high pitched and not as raspy.how big were the paw prints??a grays are roughly 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 inches long a reds are 2 1/2 long.
Old 02-16-2003, 07:41 AM

Yeah, they were on the smaller side, so must have been a grey. I' m used to them just sneaking in quiet. That' s pretty neat, really gets your heart pounding. This is the second time I' ve called from this spot, and second time I' ve called in fox without seeing them. I' ve got to find a spot to sit in this area that offers a better view.
Old 02-16-2003, 05:36 PM
Typical Buck

have you tryed lip squeeking in that spot??after you call and let things set for a min or if a fox starts barking at you,give him a lip squeek.a gray alot of times will give the wind no thought what so ever and come busting in fast when he hears a lip squeek.a mouse squeeker will do the same thing.of course one reason they might be leaving before coming in all the way is they saw you move.even with grays keep movment to a minamum.
Old 02-16-2003, 11:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Arctic Fox do a loud yipe noise that sounds like a cross between a dog and a cat. I' ve heard them before screaming back and forth when they were split up. I think they do that in the winter months when there is zero visibility as well.
Old 02-21-2003, 06:36 PM
Fork Horn

those sneaky grays!! gotta love em!!!