Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Squirrels and Rabbits

Old 02-23-2003, 12:45 PM

Default RE: Squirrels and Rabbits

I have only been hunting for one year but I know much about squirrels. My pap' s land is some of the best squirrel hunting there is. If you are hunting by yourself, make sure you have 3 quarters with you. You know how squirrels like to run to the other side of the tree when they spot you? Well, sit in that spot for 5 minute or so, then take two quarters and slide the other in between them, then pull it out while pressing hard on the other two. It will make a sound like a nut ing and the squirrel will come around the tree to investigate.

If you have someone with you...take a metal pipe of a big stick or something of that sort...if they run up into a nest, wait a minute...then have the other guy bang on the tree with the pipe. The squirrel will scramble out of that nest like his tail' s on fire. These two methods are proven to work.

plinker

Anger, Misery, You Will Suffer Unto Me
Old 02-23-2003, 03:41 PM

i used to hunt squirrels alot when i was little, i dont do it too much any more but i used to just walk around till i found one and just kept following it until i got a good shot at him. usually they just go up a tree and you can pick um off pretty easy.
Old 02-27-2003, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

When I go out with a .177 airgun, I usually take my jack russel terriers, they' re fast enough to run ahead of the squirrels and get them stopped so I can shoot them before they hole up. They' ll just sit up there and stare at the dogs then, so I can make an easy shot. When I don' t take the dogs but keep the air gun, I do a lot of running, and it really sucks, that' s why we invented scatterguns.

On rabbits, I ride horseback or walk through a pasture that I know they live in, then when I see one jump, I stalk over to it, get within 20yrds, and put a pointed pellet through it' s head, right below the ear. If you shoot the body with a bb or flat nosed pellet, you' re likely to hear the slap, and then your bunny will run off. I also wait for them to come out in the evenings and eat the clover growing in my fiance' s front yard, then plink them from the porch. It usually works much better to use a .22lr though, and even moreso I like .410' s, then you can hunt them much like hunting birds, walk through a field, and get what you get.
Old 02-27-2003, 05:02 PM

Sorry guys, i though this topic died down. Thanks for the tips for next season. I will be using a Crossman .177 caliber
Old 03-18-2003, 06:33 PM

Smitty03, another tactic is to carry some fishing line with you and tie it to a sapling on the opposite side of the tree from you and stand on the other side and shake that sapling til the squirrel comes to your side of the tree.
Old 03-19-2003, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

i just walk around and shoot em. i shoot some rabbits when i am deer hunting.
Old 04-17-2003, 09:05 PM

I hope you have checked the game laws in your state , I don' t mean to be a party pooper but air rifles are not legal hunting implements in all states even though I took my first squirrel with a bb gun I was quickly punished for doing so illegally. I was young and didn' t realize about game laws and such..I' m sure I' m not alone either! Happy Hunting501!
Old 05-11-2003, 08:55 PM

i used to use my bb/pellet rifle for squirrel before i got my .22 and .410
i use so many tricks its incredible
TIP: click two quarters together and it will imitate a scolding squirrel