Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Sold my fur today

Old 02-15-2008, 08:13 AM

Default Sold my fur today

I sold my fur today and thought id share my price with everybody. I had 27 coons that i averaged $10.00 a piece. 3 beavers at $8.00 a piece. 2 coyotes at 7.00 a piece. 1 bobcat at $20.00.

All furs were skinned with the fat and flesh left on them. My buyer bought the coons by the length, he didn't check for any defects. Due to the fact that the coons that i killed while hunting were pretty damaged, I amhappy with the price thatI got. The bobcat pelt was small and had not primed yet so the price was low for it. The coyotes and beavers were just quoted aprice on.Aswith the coons, he did not check the pelts for any damage.

I probably could have got more for them at the fur convention in Columbia Missouri but it wouldnt justify the gas and hotel bill. Good luck to everybody else that has fur to sell, hopefully this post will help you.

Jerry
Old 02-15-2008, 08:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Sold my fur today

Sounds pretty good for the coons. I averaged $12 on 23 coons in southern Ohio about a month ago. But they had good size and were in good shape. Coyotes seem to be kind of low this year.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:42 AM
Typical Buck

That sounds about the same on coon here.They don,t want to see the yotes though.Where you from? I'm from Michigan.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:35 AM
Typical Buck

in jan/ i sold my coon skins
5@$22
8@$13
7@$6
1@$3
ave 12
feb i sold
6@28
5@20
8@16
for some reason fur went higher at the end of the season here.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

I had heard reports that fur prices were going up by the end of january. However, considering that i only averaged 7.50 per coon last year, i was happy with what i got at the time. I don't think that it was a particularly good year for coons in some states like Ohio. So, hopefully the market will not be glutted and there will be good prices next year.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:12 AM
Typical Buck

greenwalds was who i sold to and he said he was down 2000 hides from last year!!!! that was in jan, i forgot to ask him when i sold on feb 8th though.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've heard nothing but good things about Groenwold. Unfortunately, they don't have any pick-up points near my area. I did the majority of my trapping in Illinois and the coon numbers seem to be as good as last year. I think that some of the really cold weather we got in january may have slowed things down a bit though. I caught all of mine from Mid-November thru the end of December.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:06 PM

Im in southeast Missouri. I thought the coyotes were going to do better because they were nice skins. However, considering that i wasnt deducted for the damaged coons, i bet i broke even. I thought about using Groenwold but they didnt have a pick up in may area before the last day to sell furs. Do any of you guys flesh, stretch, and dry your furs or do you sell them green too. Im sure you can get more money for a properly finished pelt but does extra money cover the extra time spent prepping.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

I sell all mine furs green. It would be fun to do all my own drying and stretching, but I barely have enough time to run 15 or 20 traps and get my stuff skinned, let alone put the time, money, and work into processing them. If you have the time and are dealing with quite a bit of fur, the increase in price would probably make it worth your while.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

man you guys are getting some good prices for coons. my buddy took ours last weekend...i dont know exactly how many we had..somewhere between 30-50 id say...average was 8$..i guess that isnt bad though...the majority of them were smaller and alot of them had 22 holes all through them...when my buddy lets his girlfriends sons do the shootin, we are usually there a while till it comes outta the tree. it was a pup training year as well so anytime that pup treed a coon, it came out...usually let the small ones go if we know they are small. really didnt put up many bigguns this year...maybe 5-8 all together and i sent out 2 of the nicest ones to be tanned...they both measured over 30 from nose to base of the tail and were in great condition...

Quick Reply: Sold my fur today

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.