Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

coyotes=4,hunters=1

Old 02-12-2008, 08:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default coyotes=4,hunters=1

TODAY HAS GOT TO BE THE BEST AND WORST HUNT I'VE EVER HAD !
IT STARTED SNOWING MONDAY AFTERNOON AND QUICKLY PUT 2 INCHES ON THE GROUND ! FINALLY ! A GOOD SNOW FOR A HUNT !I HADN'T BEEN ABLE TO CONNECT ON A YOTE SINCE EARLY DECEMBER AND I WAS PUMPED ! MY BUDDY JIM CALLED ME[GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE]AND ASKED IF I WANTED TO GO. I TOLD HIM I WAS LOADING UP LOL ! WE HAD AROUND TWO HOURS OF DAYLIGHT LEFT.ON THE WAY TO PICK HIM UP THE SNOW TURNED TO SLEET. THATS NOT GOOD !.WE HUNTED A GREAT SPOT UNTIL DARK WITH NO LUCK THEN WENT TO A FRIENDS PLACE THAT HAS A WOODEN GROUND BLIND SET-UP.STAYED IN THAT SHELTER FOR ABOUT AN HOUR WITH NO LUCK.CALLED IT QUITS AND MADE PLANS TO GO THIS MORNING.

HE OVERSLEPT SO WHEN WE GOT MOVING IT WAS BREAKING DAYLIGHT. THE SLEET HAD CHANGED TO FREEZING RAIN. WENT TO A SPOT I HAD BEEN SAVING FOR A SNOW HUNT.IT'S OVER A THOUSAND ACRES OF OLD STRIP MINE GROUND COVERED IN BROOMSAGE AND BRUSH,SOME WOODS.FIGURED IT WOULD BE EASY TO SEE THE YOTES IN THE SNOW.AFTER CRUNCHING NOISILY THROUGH THE ICE COVERED SNOW
WE GOT SET UP AND BEFORE I COULD TOUCH A CALL WE HEARD ALL HELL BREAK LOOSE ABOUT 200 YDS AWAY ! WE WERE SET UP WATCHING A CORNFIELD ABOUT 100 YDS FROM THE THICK STUFF.IT WASN'T LONG AND HERE COMES 2 YOTES FROM UPWIND OF US ! I TOLD JIM TO BARK WHEN HE WAS READY.AT 80 YDS HE BARKED,THEY STOPPED AND I GUT-SHOT [WHAT THE !@#%] THE LEAD FEMALE WITH MY SINGLE SHOT.204. JIM SHOT [.30-06]AND MISSED,AND MISSED,AND MISSED !!!!
WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOUR GUN DUDE ?????? LOL !!! SO THEY RAN OFF.
I TRACKED THAT BITCH FOR HALF A MILE BEFORE I LOST HER IN A WOODS !!!
HATED TO LOSE ONE BUT I TRIED MY DAMDEST. SCOPE MUST HAVE GOT BUMPED ON MINE TO SHOOT TOO FAR LEFT.
WENT TO OUR NEXT SPOT,PARKED AND WAS GLASSING THE FIELDS WHEN WE SPOTTED TWO TOGETHER AND A THIRD COMING FROM A DIFFERENT AREA .THEY MET UP AND HEADED UPWIND.I STAYED THERE AND JIM DROVE OVER TO THE NEXT ROAD TO HEAD THEM OFF.I SNUCK ACROSS WIDE OPEN FIELD IN MY SNOW CAMO AND GOT WITHIN 400 YDS BEFORE I FOUND A TREE I COULD HIDE BEHIND.JIM SET UP 400YDS UPWIND AND OFF TO THE SIDE A LITTLE AND WE WATCHED TO SEE WHERE THEY WERE GOING.
THE BASTARDS DECIDED IT WAS NAP TIME AND LAYED DOWN ALONG A DITCH RIGHT OUT IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE ! WE WAITED A HALF-HOUR IN FREEZING RAIN
AND I'D HAD ENOUGH.TOOK A CHANCE AND BLEW LIGHTLY ON A RABBIT DISTRESS
NAP OVER !!!!3 YOTES WERE UP AND HEADED FOR DINNER[A LEAD DINNER LOL !]
AT 250-300 YDS THEY GOT IN A POSITION WHERE I HAD BETTER SHOOT BECAUSE
THEY WERE GOING TO COME DIRECTLY BETWEEN JIM AND MYSELF. I WAITED TILL THEY STOPPED AND HAD TWO OF THEM SIDE BY SIDE[WIDER TARGET ] AND SENT ONE THEIR WAY.I HELD A COUPLE INCHES TO THE RIGHT,REMEMBERING THE EARLIER GUTSHOT ! WELL.I MISSED. AND I CONTINUED TO MISS 8 MORE TIMES [REMEMBER,SINGLE SHOT !] WHILE THEY STOOD THERE LOOKING DUMBER THAN ME !!!
I FINALLY RAN OUT OF BULLETS. THEY FINALLY RAN EVERY DIRECTION EXCEPT JIMS ,BARKING AND CHALLENGE HOWLING[?] THE WHOLE TIME. GAME OVER. I'M GOING HOME ! THAT'S MY STORY AND I'M STICKIN TO IT !

PS. SINGLE SHOT .204 AND SINGLE SHOT .22-250 WILL SOON BE FOR SALE.
IF I WOULD HAVE STILL HAD MY AR,THINGS WOULD HAVE ENDED DIFFERENTLY !!!
HAVE A NICE DAY !
Old 02-12-2008, 09:00 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: coyotes=4,hunters=1

Yea well dogkiller you know smetimes that the way it goes. sounds like you had more fun than if you did"nt go out at all.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: coyotes=4,hunters=1

hey dogkiller everybody has a bad day and we all miss,usually not that much,but most of the time you don't have the oppritunity to shoot more than once or twice at the same dog and the second shot is usually a snap shot at a runner.I think you did good,you got exercise,you helped out the ammo companies,you found out your rifle was off so you can make some adjustments,and you left some for next time,kinda like catch and release hunting,look at all these positive things you did and had fun also.Better luck next time.Post some pictures of your next hunt,I'm sure you will score soon,because it sounds like you got some good hunting places.