Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Raccoon Trapping

Old 02-08-2008, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Raccoon Trapping

Well, I am finally going to try to really do something about the out of control raccoon population on my property. I've tried the live animal traps and either I'm a poor trapper or the raccoons are too smart or a combination of the two, so I just took the next step.

I ordered a couple of the lil' grizz raccoon traps and am going to start using them whenever I go to the property this year.

Here's a picture of one:

They seem to be the trap of choice on the trapper forums and they are a species specific trap that should be pretty safe on other animals.

I'm a 100% novice at trapping so I'm just hopeful to start making a dent on the overall population both to improve the chances for quail and turkey hatches in the spring plus to cut down on my feeding bill a little.

I have plenty of raccoons, that's for sure!

If anyone has any tips or tricks on the subject I would appreciate any input.

Thanks, Nathan
Old 02-09-2008, 09:43 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Raccoon Trapping

I have never used or even heard of those traps. I normally use connabears 220's set in front of a five gallon bucket or a connabear box. for bait i use fish, generally whats leftover after I clean them. I would have to say the easiest way to do it is to find where they go under a fence and put a snare there. generally live traps work pretty well, you might try camoflaging it a little, and then use a bait with a really strong scent.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:26 PM

Hey npaden,

I am also new to trapping, but have spoke with many great trappers of old and young ages. One "trick"they have given me is marshmellows. Place some in a trap like you have or one with a cylinder and trapping device within it and when they try to get mellows out they get caught. Coons are pretty tricky, but with the different little tricks and rigs they can be caught. Good luck to you and your trapping.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:05 PM

Damn..If I had that many coon around I think I would put up a tree stand and blast away when they came to the feeder..
Old 02-10-2008, 05:20 PM
Typical Buck

man you got a lot of freakin coons,I got a picture with 5 on a corn pile and I thought that was a lot but you got a lot of coons where the heck do you live on masked bandit street in coonsville.That's a lot of money just to feed them suckers you should qualify for food stamps with that many mouths to feed.Do you plan on selling the furs,it looks profitable you can buy some more corn then.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:03 PM
Fork Horn

1st of all when you got a food source and try box trapping right there, would you go in a metal box to get food when you can eat right outside the box? prob not. them lil griz traps you bought prob wont work as great as what your hoping, cause thats a curiosity trap pretty much where theytry to dig to get the food out, them work better at water spots, creeks.
the best bet right now for you is lay down some footholds 1.5 would work excellent. just pick a spot by the feeder usually they have trails and just start laying down steel. ya you might catch a turkey or other animal but check the traps in the morning and right before dark and you should clean house on the coons
Old 02-10-2008, 07:27 PM
Spike

all i use are 220's in buckets and lil griz's. i think they are one ofthe best traps out but they cost to much for me. I use either fish oil or bacon greese in mine. i would run my whole line with them if i could afford them.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:11 PM
Fork Horn

Use a hay-set
Old 02-12-2008, 01:18 PM
Fork Horn

Here's an easy way to get rid of those rascals. Talk to a local coon hunter and have him thin them out for you. He would be forever grateful and you would get the results that you want. Don't worry about his dogs running your deer out of there, good coondogs don't run the flag tails and even if the deer do runout, they will come right back.

Don't know any coon hunters, just keep your eyes out driving around, you will see their dog boxes in the back of their trucks. Tell me what city/state you live in and I will have some call you!
Old 02-16-2008, 07:46 PM
Typical Buck

See if snares are legal.Cheap and easy.

Quick Reply: Raccoon Trapping

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.