Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

My First Offical Coyote Hunt Sat.???

Old 02-07-2008, 10:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default My First Offical Coyote Hunt Sat.???

This saturday I'll be going hunting for coyotes here in North Alabama for my first time with coyote in mind.I'm normally deer hunting when I run into them.I've been trying to get as much info as possiblefrom books and videos.I still have a few questions I was hoping to get some help on.
The land I will be hunting is a little over 100 acres but I can only hunt the back35 or 40 acresor less because of houses on the other end.Land is a rectangler shape with houses on theSouth end. I can hunt theNorth end where it starts getting wooded.They have had a real bad coyote problem killing goats.30 goats or more a year! Since its such a small piece of property that I can hunt,can you give me an idea on how many sets I should hunt and for how long if Idon't get aresponse (ballpark)? Should one set pretty much cover it?
Another question I have is if I manage to kill one,is that the end of the hunt or should I keep calling? If so how long? I've seen on shows where they do like a puppy in distress after the shot.
What should I start off with when I get set? Should I do a a few howls and then try some cottontail cries? Is it ok to do one right after the other?
Man,sorry for all the questions.I'm really excited about going.My cousin will be going and I'm going to try to let him shoot the first coyote while I call it in.I wanna be sure I have a good plan when we get there.Throw in any suggestions you thinks worth mentioning.
Thanks,
James
Old 02-07-2008, 10:52 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: My First Offical Coyote Hunt Sat.???

the number of set for forty acres of woods could be 2 to 4 if you have hills,that deadens the sound so you cant be heard as far away.I live in KY the farm I live on is 110 acres with enough hills and hollows to make several sets 2 to 300 yards apart no dought that on a still day a coyote can easily hear your calls all over this size farm,but you might be in an area that he doesn't want to go to,so moving a few hundred yards and trying a different sound might do the trick,this has worked for me on smaller farms.As for what sounds to use,I have killed more coyotes with rabbit sounds than all others combined,I am not afraid to let out an interrogation howl or two,wait a few minutes and start a rabbit in distress and after a couple of minutes wait about 5 minutes and do the rabbit thing again,do this for about 25minutes total set,then quietly move,don't over howl you dont hear coyotes howling in the east during daylight,unless it's pups in about july or august,other than that the howl at dark and sometimes at sunrise,so if you plan on howling you might want about 45 minutes to a set,I think it is breeding season down south,so female invitation howls might work,I called in a female and her mate last march 5 and killed them both,she came to investigate the howls of an intruder female I guess,she came in wreckless and got it at about 30yards,her boyfriend was hanging back and got it as he ran away in the back at about 160yards.hope you get one,if not keep trying,they can sometimes be difficult.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:19 PM
Typical Buck

and bamahuntin the sound is not the most important thing,your set up is,if they hear you rattling around,slamming doors,or even squeaking gates or fences, or walking in open fields up high your chances of calling one in are about gone,they are wary smart animals trained daily by a hunters mistakes you make to many mistakes and they become nearly impossible to call in.And yes keep on calling for a few minutes after the shot there may be more than one.If you dont kill one or you get busted or miss,you might wait a few days before going back over hunting a small area will educate every coyote that you didn't see,but that saw you,and trust me they will see you if you hunt there often.Don't be afraid to use different sounds if you have an electronic caller or mouth call,they can pattern you to the same sounds.The main thing is go hunt and have fun,you will never forget the first one that comes to the call,mine was over ten years ago not 300 yards from where I'm sitting,but its the only one I will remember for life.I have killed a lot more but only one first one!!!
Old 02-07-2008, 11:28 PM
Fork Horn

Hey man I really appreciate the help.That should really help me come sat morning.Can you describe a femaleinvitation howl to me? I'm sure it would be hard to get the idea without hearing.If I can figure it out i'll give it a try if I don't have any luck with the cottontails distress.
Thanks again,
JE
Old 02-08-2008, 12:11 AM
Typical Buck

hey bamahuntin if you dont have a electronic caller with this sound you might want to stick to distress sounds,different howls can be hard to describe in words.Since you are on here I know you have access to the internet,go to varmintal's webpage and you can hear these sounds on there I think,if not you can go to www.gofoxpro.com and sample their entire sound library.Just remember dont howl to much,coyotes dont sit around and howl a lot,they know if they did that someone like you or me would locate them and snipe them off,and skin them.Howls do work,but rabbit in distress works better in most situations.You might want to get a copy of Primo's video Mastering The Art Calling Predators with Randy Anderson it is full of howling info and technique's you can get it at www.allpredatorcalls.com you can see and hear his howling in hunting situations even though it is out west,they make the same howls in the east.hope this helps.You should hear the howls for yourself,some sound very similar,the female invitation howl is higher in pitch than male howls and shorter than interogation howls,with more excitement it's hard to explain just go to one of the websites.And good luck saturday,maybe you will have some good pictures to post suturdaynight.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:50 AM
Typical Buck

Good luck Bama. I still trying to kill my first yote myself.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:40 PM
Fork Horn

Hey spoiler I appreciate it.Hopefully we'll have some luck.Thanks again coyote#68
Old 02-08-2008, 10:13 PM
Typical Buck

hey bamahuntin forgot to ask you,how did that new gun shoot,and what power scope did you put on it,did it have that new gun feel,man I love to get a new gun,I think a man should buy a new gun at least every month or two,just to keep his relationship alive,when I was married my wife hated that new gun feel.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:13 PM
Fork Horn

Gun shot great man.Love at first shot.My cousin was with me andhe was really happy with it as well.I was really suprised athow well it grouped at 300 yards.It did'nt drop not even ahalf inch from 100 to 300.Really happy with it.The gun came with a Tasco 3-9x40.Not the most impressive scope but that will come soon enough.Hopefully I'll be able to give it the real test tomorow morning.
JE
Old 02-10-2008, 01:11 AM
Typical Buck

hey bamahuntin that tasco scope will do you for calling at pretty good ranges,I used to have a 6x24 x50 scope on my old coyote gun,it was to much for close range calling,it was great for 350yard groundhogs but to much for trying to find a coyote that stopped at 15 yards,I now have a 4x12x40 on my little gun and it;s plenty,dont think you need a lot of magnification to kill more coyotes a 3x9 will do the job 95%of the time here in the east,I had a 3x9 on my ruger for two years and it killed more coyotes than the 4x12 luepold that is on it now,I put the nikon3x9 on my 5mm mag,if you are going to upgrade you should look at nikon scopes I have two of them and three luepolds,and to me the nikons are my favorites you can get a 3x9 nikon prostaff for about $150 and it will serve you well,the buckmaster is supposed to be better but mine cost $279 for the 4.5x14 and I cant see that it's any clearer just more magnification PS did you have any luck hunting today,I didnt went crappie fishing it sucked so came home and made a set and call in 2 cats(house cats)until I started howling at dark I could hear a coon or coyote walking in the woods but could never see it,tell us if you scored man.

Quick Reply: My First Offical Coyote Hunt Sat.???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.