Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Hunting Coyote and fox in NY ?>

Old 02-04-2008, 09:34 AM
Spike

Default Hunting Coyote and fox in NY ?>

Hey all.
Im a 10 year whitetail hunter , and this year I will be hunting predator for the first time. I live in NYC , and usually hunt in the catskills. I am curious if anyone knows of any "HOTSPOTS" for coyote or fox IN NY ?

I purchased a electronic caller and I am hunting with a RRA AR-15 zeroed at 100 yards..... .223

I am wearing full camo, a hat and still need to purchase a mask .
I have a bipod mounted but I may need to buy shooting sticks i dont think bipod will be large enough.

Should I hunt night or day..
I was thinking of putting down some bait , maybe tuna fish or dog food... ( Thoughts on this ?? )
If I hunt at night , do i Really need a red light ???

I have a DEP access permit and also a DEP hunting tag , so hunting on DEP land Is good for me if you know of a active den or hotspot.. If anyone knows of any farmers of sheep / chicken breeders that are having a yote problem , and would let me hunt the land , that would be great....

Any other advice or tips would be great for this noobie......
thanks.. good luck
Old 02-04-2008, 09:39 AM

Default RE: Hunting Coyote and fox in NY ?>

[blockquote]No the red light is not really that important..It does help though.
Some animals are scared of the white lights..You can always get one
later on..I like the face make up camo better than the mask..
But then again I wear glasses and the mask can get in the way..
And you don't need a mask in the dark..There are lots of places
to hunt for fox and coyote in New York..
[/blockquote]
Old 02-04-2008, 10:03 AM
Spike

I will try the face paint camo,, good idea...

i think im gonna go out about 330 in the am . post up , maybe bait and work the wind direction till i get a good spot over bait , then call in straight periods of 12 minutes with 4 mimute breaks between....

Old 02-04-2008, 10:12 AM

A6A6----That sounds pretty early to me..They will be asleep then..[8D]

My son never goes out much before 5AM....or he goes in the late
afternoon as well,like between 4 30 and dark...
Old 02-04-2008, 10:35 AM
Spike

hmmm... good info..
thanx...
ill try about 5am....
Old 02-04-2008, 08:22 PM
Spike

I'm in upstate, NY..actually 10 mins from Catskill itself. There's definately plenty of foxes and coyotes running around, but you never know exactly where they are going to be...at least I don't. They certainly love bait, but be prepared to sit a long time watching a bait pile unless you know they are nearby. We actually have 2 bait piles setup within 200yds from the house with motion detectors on them setting off an audiblealarm in the house if anything gets on them. This year we've gotten one fox and one raccoon. Last year just one bobcat, and another fox the year before. Many times we've had something show up, but as soon as the spotlight gets turned on it, its gone. It seems cats (both house and bobcat) aren't overly scared of a bright white light. Foxes are a little nervous, but very shootable. And coyotes are extremely skiddish and don't stick around in the light more than 1-2 seconds.

Calling certainly works, I can't seem to wake up early so my success has been mostlyright at dusk, sometimes a little too dark for shooting. Although last year I did manage to get up once early and was successful on a yote at first light.As far as location I can't really be of much help, but I'm sure there's spots around here somewhere.

GOOD LUCK!!

Tim
Old 02-04-2008, 10:26 PM
Spike

hey tim...
i like the idea of the motion sensor.....
i just dont know if its practical to bring one with me to state land......

Catskill park off of rt 28 is probably where im going to get a hunt in...
its not too far from where I actually whitetail hunt..
what do you use to bait these critters in ???

i was thinkin of tuna fish since it has a strong smell.. it should carry well in the wind.....
how about you ?

mark
Old 02-05-2008, 08:38 PM
Spike

Sounds like you'll be about 45 mins away from me somewhere southwest. I wouldn't do anything with the motion detector, that works great for us when we are home it is always on. Butif you're just visiting you might as well get out there and hunt. We'll have something hit the bait piles almost every night, but its 50/50 as to if its a house cat or something shootable. I'd focus on calling and moving around to different areas more than I would bait piles. I think if you wait for a bait pile you're not likely to be around when something actually is on it.

But either way, we usually use the remnants of whatever deer we take during the season, along with some friskies splattered on top. Also we've been popping some squirrells with the 17hmr and staking them to the pile. Thats another good point; if you do get a bait pile, stake it to the groud somehow so that whatever comes can't just take it and run.

Tim
Old 02-05-2008, 11:23 PM
Spike

That is where i do most of my hunting.. Roxbury,Margaretville,Arkville and gilboa, scholhaire and deleware county...

How long do you think i should wait in one spot and how long do you think i should call ??? continuious or should i break calling into like 30 second intervalls.. ??

The squirrell you put on the bait pile , it got me thinking...

Do coyote prefer dead carcass as opposed to live ??
i know some birds will eat dead animals before those still alive........ wonder if its the same with predator..... a dead decaying squirrell doesnt have the most appitezing aroma......

the .17 hmr... i hear its lots of fun to shoot... trajectory like a laser beam....

im a 10/22 fan but if i come across the right price .17hmr.. ide pick one up...

Mark
Old 02-06-2008, 09:18 AM
Spike

In decent weather the coyotes might not be going out of there way to find already dead meat. But if there is some snow on the ground they seem to look for the ugliest smelliest piece of meat out there. None of these animals we seem to have visiting our bait pile seem to be bothered by VERY old smelly meat.