HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   dead coyote loads? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/230402-dead-coyote-loads.html)

mossbergman11 02-02-2008 02:05 PM

dead coyote loads?

i am a very wishy washy person. i was thinking about getting a .22 wmr rifle for coyotes and squirrels and just for fun shooting. now im thinkin about just getting dead coyote loads for my shotgun and doing it that way. Do i need a specific choke for Dead Coyote loads? What barrel do i use?

20 slugs 02-04-2008 08:33 PM

RE: dead coyote loads?

I was told a full choke is best the only yotes I have shot were with slugs during deer season they were to stupid and stopped long enough for me to send them a hide rippen hello. For shot I was told double odd buck but it might not be legal other then deer season.I think you had the same question as I on turkey huntin with a old gun and new loads.

swamp rooster 02-05-2008 04:13 AM

why would you want to shoot tree rats with a 22 mag or dead coyote loads anyway..

Bullet Hole Bailey 02-05-2008 07:39 AM

well if i was you i would get me a super full tukey choke and some #4 buckshot......

mossbergman11 02-06-2008 03:48 PM

ORIGINAL: Bullet Hole Bailey

well if i was you i would get me a super full tukey choke and some #4 buckshot......
for yotes?
i would use dead coyote loads for coyotes not squirrels . i would shoot squirrels with a .22 mag

Howler 02-06-2008 04:08 PM

You don't NEED a specific choke for dead coyote loads, BUT you WILL need to pattern your gun with the different choke tubes that you do have. You can use your regular 'ol smooth bore shotgun with dead coyote loads.

IMO, good 'ol 3" #4 buckshot is almost as good and one heck of a lot cheaper than the dead coyote loads. You still need to pattern your gun with it as well, to find your best pattern. With the #4 buck, and a good pattern, 50 yards on a broadside shot will do the trick. Dead coyote loadswill stretch that out a few more yards.

If you're wanting to buy a new .22 mag., go for it. It wouldn't be my first choice for squirrels or coyotes, BUT it will work for both.

mossbergman11 02-06-2008 06:04 PM

for yotes with .22 mag where do you aim for them? is a .17 hmr better for yotes?

TurkeyT 02-07-2008 03:08 PM

I've always head shot yotes with 22lr an 22mag.

mossbergman11 02-07-2008 08:18 PM

turkeyt you've killed yotes with a .22 lr? what ammo and distance?

coyote#68 02-07-2008 11:39 PM

hey mossbergman I have killed a coyote with a 22lr at about 40 yards with a neck shot while squirrel hunting with a high velocity hollow point,but as I grew older and saw several shot in the head and body with the same load,and never found them,I decided that the 22lr is not the best gun for the job.You can kill them with it,but if you count all the ones you kill cleanly with one good shot,and compare it to the ones that got away or you had to shoot several times.You will decide the shotgun might be better for you.Buckshot will kill them quickly at up to about 50 yards or so with a good tight pattern,it's like being shot with several 22lr's at the same time.If you insist on a 22 just be sure of your range and make the animal stop for good shot placement.Happy Hunting.