HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   Note To Self (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/229694-note-self.html)

BlackLab 01-29-2008 11:13 AM

Note To Self

Well a couple weeks ago I met a guy playing Texas holdem Terry is his name. Any way he was complaining about how these coyotes were keeping him up all nite with their singing. Kind of jokeing I said heck I'll come over and shoot them for ya. With out even a blink he gives me his address and phone #. Yesterday I finally decided to make the call, and we set a time 1pm that afternoon. Basically for me this was just to get more aquianted (sp) and check out the area. Still I brought my gear ar and my fx 3 just for kicks and giggles. When I arrived there was about 1 - 2 inchs of fresh snow and not much open area lots of blackberry bushes with littletight open areas.The shooting lane was deffinately challenging to say the least. The caller was 105 yards from my tailgate yes tailgate. We were in his driveway, told ya it was tight.I start the call off with a rabbit distress for about 5 mins all the time thinking it's to busy around here and noisey. So I didn't really think it was gonna be productive but what the heck. ThenI changed the to a female invite. Mind you Terry and I are leaning against my tailgate talking not really thinking anthing would come in. After about another 5 mins i hit the remote again and changed to a hurt pup. A couple mins of that and in the corner my eye I see a coyote. He came from the top of the driveway not even 20 yards :eek:couldn't freakin beleive it,my AR is behind me in the bed of the truck. As slow an carefull as I could I reached for it BUSTED. He or she seen me move and got the heck out of dodge. Never did I expect to see one with all the commotion going on let alone down the driveway. Oh we had to laugh but still I wanted to kick my own a$$ for not taking the set up more seriously. Were gonna try it again in a couple weeks to see what happens.

Bullet Hole Bailey 01-29-2008 11:52 AM

RE: Note To Self

well atleast you know they are around!

mauser06 01-29-2008 11:54 AM

thats what i love about predator hunting...never know where they might come from and how quick things happen...cant wait for next year when i can get serious about it...

good luck! post some pics when you put em down!

BigHonkers 01-29-2008 11:55 AM

last weekend i saw 3 yotes about 50 yards from a freeway. they didn't seem to mind all the vehicles driving by, they were too busy looking at the herd of cattle next to them.

Spoiler 01-31-2008 06:21 AM

Bummer!

BlackLab 01-31-2008 10:22 AM

ORIGINAL: mauser06

thats what i love about predator hunting...never know where they might come from and how quick things happen..

good luck! post some pics when you put em down!
Onereason I didn't think the coyotewould come the way he did was. There's a swollen creek between us and the caller and he would have to cross it. Yes I know they get their feet wet [8D]. Plus theres so much cover on the other side. The driveway wasn't even a thought :eek:. Oh well he's a little more wiser, and so am I :D.

Mauser06
I do take the camerawhen I go out. So when that day comes they'll be a click click after the bang bang, I hope ;)