Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

coyote pelts

Old 01-22-2008, 10:59 PM

Default coyote pelts

i live in the northeast and plan on doing some yote hunting. i was curious if anyone knows how i can sell the pelts. i dont want to shoot them and not do anything with the pelts. we have some big coyote's in mass. and they are destroying the deer population so i want to try and get rid of a few.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:01 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: coyote pelts

Go to Huntingchat.net and ask Dasfish, he traps and sells a lot of pelts and knows of the auctions. Don't know if you can find a fur buyer in MA these days other than at auction.

Tan your own w/ Krwotan. I just started doing mine to keep last year. I can't see selling a coyote for $20, when you could sell a tanned fur for a lot more on auction sites like fleabay
Old 01-23-2008, 12:18 PM
Fork Horn

http://www.huntingchat.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=16022

fur auction.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:42 AM
Typical Buck

www.nafa.ca , good place to sell to. You will get the most out of your pelts by selling to them. To sell to them, the hides need to be stretched and dried. Just make sure not to put any big holes in the pelts or else they will have little value.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:58 PM
Typical Buck

here check this site out. http://gfwco.com/furroutes.htm.he goes all over the nation buying hides. i just sold 40 coon hides to him today and made $623. sold 5 coyotes (green not tanned) and got $28 a peice. not bad i dont think. never made what i put into dog food(for the hounds)or the gas hunting them but i had fun either way. hope this helps!!
Old 01-26-2008, 07:34 PM

Get an issue of Fur-Fish-Game and check the back cover. Should tell you about nearby trapping clubs or fur auctions.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:30 PM
Typical Buck

This might be a silly question but bare with me...if i wanted to get a coyote pelt just to hang on the wall, how should you skin them out? Would i be better off just taking it to the taxi and having him do it? I don't hunt coyotes specifically, they are usually just targets of opportunity when deer and turkey hunting and i thought it would be cool to have one on the wall. I did go 'yote hunting once a couple years ago, in upstate NY where i live a lot of guys run them with hounds and hunt them kinda like rabbits. It was fun, we didn't get anything though, spent most of the day and into the night trying to catch the hounds haha
Old 01-27-2008, 09:10 PM
Spike

Better take to the tax or have someone that skins on a regurlar basis. The area around the eyes and the paws takes some practice to keep from cutting a hole. Hard to hide a hole in the thin skin around the eyes and nose if you make a mistake. The paws arenot skinned when you are selling pelts so most don't practice this section regularly.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:36 PM
Typical Buck

thanks rbullom, that is kinda what i figured. Some of that stuff takes the kind of skilled touch i don't have with a knife. In fact i almost messed up a mule deer cape a few years back. My first mulie and i wanted to mount it and my uncle quickly explains what to do and then turns me loose unsupervised haha needless to say i screwed up around the antler bases, luckily its on top of his head so you can't see it on the mount unless you're on a ladder.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:13 AM

gfmco..good site thanks.