Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 my son carrying a 22LR with me yote hunting >

my son carrying a 22LR with me yote hunting

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

my son carrying a 22LR with me yote hunting

Old 01-18-2008, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default my son carrying a 22LR with me yote hunting

My buddy and I are going coyote hunting and we have 204s but my son wants to carry his .22. If we see a fox or a coyote at close range should I let him shoot. I have only ever used target loads at squirels, is there a more powerful bullet to get for coyote. I have seen on this forum that others have used .22LR for coyotes.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:07 AM

Default RE: my son carrying a 22LR with me yote hunting

i would not hesitate to use cci stingers of remington yellow jackets for short range yotes. by short range i mean 50 yards or less and take head shots.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks, he is eight but has been shooting .22 for 9 months. He is Bar III NRA Sharpshooter. I just hope we can get them in close enough.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Let him take the 22 if one get close enough let him take the shot. But if they don't get close enough and he never gets to shoot he'll take the 204 next time.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:54 PM

Just fine to hunt them with 22LR. I use it all the time and have more luck with it (even out to 75 yards, old marlin mod. 60) than I do with any centerfire rifle - of course I am calling them in and I am hunting on a ranch with a good down sloping field, but after I get a couple called in and kill them it doesn't seem to scare the others off as far out as with a centerfire and I just keep on calling and shooting till they get wise to it, then I change it up a bit. I've got lots of friends that like to use a 22 mag though and they do pretty good too, and with just a little more distance (but they are not as patient as I am - I can wait forever for those yelling boogers to get close enough, sometimes almost in my lap, Ha Ha Ha).
Old 01-24-2008, 10:30 PM
Typical Buck

Hey allen,let that youngster shoot them,the .22lr isn't my weapon of choice,but I have killed a coyote with one while squirrel hunting at 45 yards,neck shot with a high velocity hollow point,and by the way you have a centerfire with you for a follow up shotif needed,the main thing is keep that kid hunting,they are the future of our cherished outdoor sports.CALL'EM IN CLOSE AND KILL'EM ALL!!!
Old 01-25-2008, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks, I am so proud of my son, he loves to go and is a good listener. He killed a doe this year on the first day of the season, first day carrying a gun in the woods. He shoots .22 every Friday night at the gun club, open sights Jr. NRA events. We went and sighted in his .22 and I think we are ready. I will have to go and get the high velocity hollow point bullet but I have a Bass Pro right around the corner.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:29 AM
Typical Buck

I see no problem with it- if that's what he likes to shoot and is confident with, then why not?
Old 01-26-2008, 07:54 PM

I disagree. .22LR (or even .22WMR or .17HMR) are not enough for coyotes. Not enough velocity, or impact energy. How about this. You give him the .204, and you carry the Rem 870?? Better chance for success for him, and that's important. Just my opinion.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Allen Denton

Thanks, I am so proud of my son, he loves to go and is a good listener. He killed a doe this year on the first day of the season, first day carrying a gun in the woods. He shoots .22 every Friday night at the gun club, open sights Jr. NRA events. We went and sighted in his .22 and I think we are ready. I will have to go and get the high velocity hollow point bullet but I have a Bass Pro right around the corner.
Why couldn't he just use the rifle he used for deer hunting?

Quick Reply: my son carrying a 22LR with me yote hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.